What 2016 Has Taught Me

What 2016 Has Taught Me

When people judge you, it is a reflection of them, not you.

10
What 2016 Has Taught Me

It's no doubt that 2016 has been a year like no other. We've had one of the most interesting presidential elections in history, countless terrorist attacks, hate crimes, and mass shootings. It seems as if every time you turned on the news there was something negative going on in the world. However, I've definitely suffered a lot personally this year, and fortunately have come so far since January.

1. I learned that my anxiety is not my own fault

Throughout the beginning of 2016, I went through a very, very bad bout of anxiety. My first doctor told me word for word, that it was all in my head and that I was the cause of my own problems. It mortified me. He made me feel like I was greedy, and I felt helpless that not even a doctor could get me the help I needed. Fortunately, I found another doctor who was able to prescribe me a different medication and find me a therapist that has absolutely changed my life. I can honestly say I have changed so much as a person because of her and that finding a good doctor can make all of the difference.

2. I learned to value my life and my health more

Aside from my mental health, I also had a cancer scare that I wrote about in one of my previous articles. I have to say that whole experience definitely shaped who I am as a person. I am much more positive and have a better outlook on life than I used to.

3. I finally found a major I am happy with

All throughout freshman year and halfway through sophomore year, I stuck with a child study major (elementary and special education), because I felt safe with it. I wasn't 100 percent sure this was what I wanted to do with my life, but because it was such a good program, I felt scared to change majors. In my second semester sophomore year, I declared a concentration in speech pathology and I ended up loving my classes. I took a leap of faith and changed my major, and I couldn't be any happier that I did. It's such a good feeling sitting in class and knowing what you're learning is something you actually can see yourself doing in the future.

4. I discovered who my true friends are

I feel like every year my circle gets smaller, and this year was no different. I've learned that there is nothing wrong with that, as long as the friends you have are true friends. I also learned just because you don't have as much in common with a friend as you used to doesn't mean you need to throw them away completely. Many times you don't stop liking people, you just develop different interests. It's perfectly OK to keep them in your lives and just see them less often, instead of throwing away your friendship altogether.

5. I've learned to stop trying to impress everyone

OK, maybe I'm still learning this, but I've definitely improved. I've learned that I don't need to go out clubbing every weekend to be considered cool, and that it's perfectly fine if I don't like going out all the time. I've learned that there is nothing wrong with going out to eat by myself, or sitting alone in the library. People are going to judge me no matter what I do, so might as well do what makes me happy. And we are all constantly being judged. When people judge you or talk about you, that is a reflection of them, not you.