20 Ways To Discover Yourself When You're Lost

It's natural to feel lost every now and then, but there's always room to get back to where we were.

43

"To 'lose oneself' can mean to become so focused when doing something that one's sense of self and one's sense of time passing are temporarily non-existent."

Unfortunately, it is very effortless to lose oneself. When you have a lot going on, feel overwhelmed, stressed, trying to please others or simply struggling to reach a deadline, you can feel lost. Along the way, a part of yourself may have been lost, disoriented, or put on hold for the time being. It's not easy to get this back or fully discover yourself; it is the complete opposite. However, there are ways to begin to find who you truly are and to be true to yourself with one step at a time.

"When you are being true to yourself, you are completely honest with what you feel, deeply value, and desire. It also means communicating your feelings wholeheartedly both with yourself and others, allowing your truth to flow through you and into the world."

1. Try something you'd never imagine yourself doing.

2. Talk to new people and don't worry about what they'll think of you.

3. Take a road trip with the windows down and your favorite music playing; sing as loud as your lungs will let you.

4. Lose the technology and go for a hike.

5. Find a breathtaking view and spend time looking at it; you can imagine what's out there or where you'd like to go.

6. Accept everything whether it's good or bad; it's out of your control.

7. Understand that nothing is perfect and go from there.

8. Make sense of your past and let the dwelling end.

9. Think about what YOU want and act on it. Your happiness matters.

10. Experience all types of weather; sit outside during the brightest day, but also during the storm.

11. Pay attention to what matters to you.

12. Don't fight your feelings; they're there for a reason.

13. Let go of any and all negativity.

14. Don't compare yourself to others; we're all different and that's a beautiful thing.

15. Take risks whenever you can; you never know what could happen.

16. Don't expect everything to go your way because it mostly likely won't.

17. Follow your passions no matter what others may think of them.

18. Pick a fear and work towards conquering it; take it as slowly or quickly as you feel you can.

19. Start relying on yourself instead of relying on others.

20. Wipe your slate clean if needed, but don't forget where you come from and what you've been through.

"Some people get lost for so long they forget what it was like to be themselves. FIND YOURSELF AGAIN."

While all of these are possible to do, some may be more strenuous or demanding than others to actually begin. If you want to try something new, something you'd never imagine yourself doing, start small. Go for a walk, then go for a run, then a hike, and so on. Before you know it, you'll be climbing mountains. Metaphorically, the mountains that you're carrying with you all of the time, you were only supposed to climb. They stayed with you and you never came down from there. By discovering yourself, these mountains will no longer be carried, but instead carried in the past leading to a future of discovery for yourself.