What Being 20 Looks Like For Millennials

Being a millennial isn't always as great as it seems..

1165
Andrea Allen

When I take a step back and truly think about what it means to be 20 today, I'm not sure exactly how to feel.

I grew up during the time frame where technology was becoming more popular, but I was still able to have a real childhood- one without being handed an iPad to keep me quiet. Technology is so present in today's society; social media especially. I just wanted to talk about a few things that has made growing up a "millennial" so controversial for me.

The hookup culture has become the norm.

I personally am not into having a purely physical relationship, but if you are then power to ya! I guess you could call me a little more traditional. If I plan on being with you, I plan on it being only you. I am a sucker for romance, so for me being with someone is about more than just the physical chemistry. I want to learn what makes you tick, what sets you off, what your favorite music is and why you like it so much, what your ultimate life goal is and how you plan on making it reality. For me, a relationship is more than a physical connection, it's emotional and intellectual as well.

Most people my age have the mindset of wanting to have as much fun as they can because "your twenties are the time to do it"; but for me that stuff isn't fun. Fun to me is waking up extra early to watch the sunrise with someone you adore, then going out to breakfast half awake with last nights makeup smudged across your face. Fun to me isn't spending the night with someone, and waking up the next day and doing it all over with someone else.

Technology should not be the main form of communication.

I get it, everyone is super busy and sometimes our lives cannot be put on hold. The issue here is that so many people are unsure how to maintain a real relationship. All the fights, disagreements and important conversations are had over text message, instead of sitting down and really trying to figure things out. The main issue with this is that things can get misinterpreted over text messages.

This is so important because many friendships and relationships end over poorly communicated feelings. Not only has this destroyed so many relationships, but it also has deteriorated our interpersonal skills. People no longer know how to communicate their issues in person, they wait until they can press "send" without having to truly face the repercussions. Communication is key in any relationship you plan on building in the future, and technology should not be the main way to do it.

Your life should not be posted on Social Media.

This was something I didn't quite grasp until fairly recently. This is a bad habit that is becoming more and more common among millennials. When people are struggling, whether it be in a relationship or a friendship, they turn to social media for validation.

Putting your personal life on social media not only attracts the wrong attention, but people feed off of that negative energy and give you back those same vibes. Sometimes validation is nice, but your 500+ friends on Facebook do not need to know every issue you and your significant other have.

"The best investment you can make is in yourself."

- Warren Buffett