20 Things a Girl Needs to Know Before She's 20

You don't need it all figured out, just a few things will suffice.

19

You’ve been in the world for two decades, and by no means should you have your sh*t together, though there may be a few things you might want to have under your belt for the decades to come.

1. General knowledge of basic car maintenance, or a dependable mechanic who can do this for you.
  2. Your go-to girl. Maybe you have one of these or maybe you have five, but you should have grasp on who you can lean on. Whether you text everyday or you can go months without talking and still pick up where you left off, you’re going to need them.
  3. Big girl clothes. Gone are the days of buying a new wardrobe at Forever 21 for under $50. Slowly but surely incorporate some quality clothing into your closet. It might require some planning and saving, but at this point you want some pieces that will last you more than a few washes in the laundry.
  4. How to do laundry, properly. Do not just toss everything in and hope for the best. Know what each load (darks, whites, colors) requires, invest in a good bleach and stain remover, and figure out what needs to air dry and what will do best in the dryer.
  5. How to break up with someone the right way. You’re mature enough to meet in person, or at least pick up the phone. You owe the person the time to talk it out. Breakups will never be good, but there is a way to end things on a good note, with mutual understanding and without animosity.
  6. A planner. Just write it down. Your mom should not be calling to remind you about your appointments.
  7. Use that planner to reach out to all of the people in your life. As an adult, you are responsible for fostering the relationships you have with your family and friends. Call your grandmothers on Mother’s Day and their birthdays, it’s not your parents responsibility to ensure you keep in touch with them, because these relationships are your own.
  8. Know that when you’re stressed out, there is a point where you should stop. There comes a time when you’re in over your head, and you can do no more. You should do no more. At this point, the most productive thing you can do is do something good for yourself.
  9. How to drive stick shift. Driving manual cars is not a dying art, in fact most of the world still gets around shifting gears. Just knowing you can drive any car should you need to, to get yourself out of any situation is a comforting thought.
  10. 10. You should know when to fight for someone, and when to call it quits. Be aware that you do not need to have someone in your life if you don’t want them there, and conversely, if you want someone there, make sure they know that. Then there are the grey areas—you may want a person to be there for you in ways that they shouldn’t or can’t be, and you should be ok with that too.
  11. 11. A regular beauty routine. Exfoliating, moisturizing and sunscreen now will save your skin later.
  12. 12. When to call it quits with social media. We are millenials, and it may seem like we have iPhones kinetically attached to us at all times, but there is a world outside of that little rectangular screen, and you should know when to remove yourself from it.
  13. 13. Find your safe place. When you can’t go home and everything feels wrong, you should have one place you can always go to clear your head and put you back in a good state.
  14. 14. How to do taxes. I hate to turn this into a marketing ploy, but TurboTax is extremely helpful and will teach you the ways.
  15. 15. Know how to perform a dance test. When trying on clothes, it does not suffice to simply put on the clothes. They must also be danceable, because that is a true indicator of the quality of clothing.
  16. 16. Enough recipes to last you a week. Yes, this means real meals, not Easy Mac that you added bacon to. So maybe you don’t cook a well-balanced meal 3 times a day, but you should know how to make a nutritious meal should you decide to consume one.
  17. 17. Know that it is still ok to treat yoself. 2am Taco Bell runs are what makes life worth living, so go ahead and live a little.
  18. 18. How to change a baby’s diaper. In no way is this an implication that motherhood is around the corner and you should be practicing basic mommy skills, but I don’t know, it seems important?
  19. 19. Updated passport. Have it ready to go for wherever life takes you. And if life isn’t taking you anywhere, take yourself somewhere. You should be seeing as much of this world as possible.
  20. 20. Remember, you got yourself this far. You know more than you think you do. But don’t forget that you don’t know everything, and you can always learn something new. After all, you’re only two decades old.