20 Songs That Put Us In The Feels In 2017

Songs from 2017 that were so powerful I had to write them down.

159
flickr

For those of you that know me, you know that music is an extremely important part of my life. When I find a song that perfectly describes what’s going on in my life and I can connect with it, it’s a great coping tool for me. Sometimes a song will be about something I’ve never experienced, but the emotion behind it is incredibly relatable.

When I share my music with someone, I’m sharing a part of myself. So if I make it a point for you to listen to something I’m playing, pay attention, I might be trying to say something that I need you to hear. Here are 20 songs this year that I connected with on a level deeper than just a beat.

1. Body love part 1 & 2 - Mary Lambert

The raw honesty in this song is incredibly powerful. She speaks to the depths of her struggles without holding back. For anyone who has struggled with the things spoken about in this song, it's really easy to find a strong connection to her words. It's both relatable and inspiring.

2. Unsteady - X Ambassadors

This song has been really popular and the first few times I listened to it, I appreciated the beat and the catchiness. When I finally sat down and let the lyrics register, I was blown away by the emotion behind his story.

3. Don’t know who I am - Rebecca Roubion

This song speaks directly to the fact that we are all trying to find ourselves. Things get hard sometimes, to the point that it's hard to remember what normal is. Bringing this to the light is a powerful way to remind people that we've all been there.

4. Rise Up - Andra Day

I don't know anyone who has listened to this song and not felt inspired.

5. Prisoner - The Weeknd

In this song, The Weeknd speaks to the side of stardom that we rarely see. It's easy to assume that, because of their fame, they must be happy with their lives. Seeing this side of it though, the struggle and the pain helps us to understand that, they too, are just people and we can relate to their music on a personal level.

6. Secrets - Mary Lambert

The honesty of the lyrics in this song combined the upbeat nature of her singing are incredibly reassuring. It's okay to struggle and to be different. There's always good, we just have to find it.

7. Mother And Father - Broods

Honestly, this song just made me homesick, but I couldn't stop listening to it.

8. Half Light - BANNERS

This song speaks to the pain of loving someone and knowing you are losing them. Goodbyes are hard, even when it's the right thing to do.

9. B A Nobody - SOAK

This song is about feeling different and alone. Life is hard, especially when you feel like you don't belong anywhere. The message behind this song for me is that there are always people out there who are like us. We always have somewhere to go and we are never alone, no matter how different and misunderstood we may feel.

10. 1-800-273-8255 - Logic

Both the title and storyline of this song are incredibly emotional and powerful. The number in the title is the suicide hotline number. The story in this song describes a person's journey starting in the depths of depression and through the other side of it coming out stronger. No matter how hard things are, we don't have to give up. There is always someone who loves us and wants us here and the fight is absolutely worth it.

11. Warrior - Demi Lovato

Demi has always been very open and honest about her struggles and the way she talks about them in this song is incredibly inspirational. Things are hard, but they get better. She went through tremendous struggle but the strength and confidence that came because of it are amazing.

12. Liability - Lorde

In this song, Lorde talks about what it's like to feel unwanted and like a burden. Many times in my life I have felt that way, like I'm a burden, misunderstood and alone. It was easy for me to connect to this song in that way, and that connection is comforting because I know that I'm not alone.

13. Change - Lana Del Rey

The title of this song is pretty self-explanatory. No matter what, people are always capable of change.

14. Praying - Kesha

Kesha has recently opened up about a lot of her struggles and her recovery. This song is completely unlike any of her other songs but the emotion and message behind it are extremely powerful.

15. Who You Are - Jessie J

In this song, JJ talks about how the pressures of society can make us feel like we aren't enough. Like we aren't worthy of connection, aren't pretty or perfect enough. The message though is that no matter what, we need to stay true to who we are. It's easy to lose yourself in trying to please or find approval in others but only true happiness can come from finding personal acceptance in your true self.

16. People Help the People - Birdy

In this song, Birdy speaks to the fact that we are never alone. In the toughest of times, it is the people around us that come together and pull us through.

17. A Little Too Much - Shawn Mendez

The truth behind this song is incredibly relatable. Everyone struggles at some point and sometimes, life itself seems like too much to handle. But there are people who understand and their are people who've been through it too. No one is alone, and it will get better.

18. Never Be Alone - Shawn Mendez

In this song again, Shawn speaks to the fact that there is always someone out there who understands or can help. Life is hard but with other people in it, it doesn't have to be as bad.

19. All About You - Birdy

This song describes what it's like to watch someone that you love struggle. It's hard to see people you care about in pain, and it's even harder to watch them try to hide it and get through it alone. This song shows that there are people around us who can see through our fake portrayals into the depths of what's really going on. That connection with people is important and the comfort of knowing the someone understands is essential.

20. Walk On Water - Eminem/Beyonce

This song has become incredibly popular recently. With the combination of Eminem and Beyonce, that's no surprise. When we think of famous artists, it's easy to believe that they are put together, happy and successful, but this song really speaks to what it's like living under the pressure of perfectionism. They are people, just like us, they are not perfect, so we don't need to be either. Breaking down that barrier makes the connection of the music we relate to even stronger.