From That 20-Something That’s Still Living with Their Parents

We don't want to live at home just as much as you don't want us to.

21
Brit+Co

I recently stumbled upon an article that discussed some swanky rooms of 20-somethings that still lived with their parents. While it talked about how cool their rooms were, you couldn’t help but be slapped in the face with their judgmental undertone. The article was basically screaming “look what they can afford since they still live with mom and dad."

As a 25-year-old who still lives with my parents, I was a little off-put by this article. It was yet another person telling me what an under-achiever, or mooch, I supposedly am.

When I tell people I still live at home, the general reaction I get is either "you still live at home?" or "that must suck." Yeah it does, thanks for reminding me. But that's just it, why does everyone feel the need to remind us that we shouldn't still be living with our parents?

I mean, I get it, I’m 25 and still living at home. According to the status quo I should be established enough to be living on my own. I should be graduated from college and making a real salary. Well I hate to break it to you guys, but I’ll let you in on a little secret of mine: life doesn’t always work that way.

After transferring schools, losing countless credit hours and re-taking organic chemistry what felt like a dozen times, I’ve been set back a lot further than I had originally planned. If you had asked me at 18 if I would still be living with my parents, I probably would have laughed in your face and said, “Hell no." Fast forward seven years later and I’m still in school and still live at my mom’s.

Do I want to be living at home? No, but I don’t exactly have an option.

So yes, it bothers me when I read articles like the one mentioned before satirizing posh bedrooms of people still living at home, because I’m one of them. We don’t need your reminder that we are underachievers. Instead of constantly asking us why we still live at home, why don't you ask yourself why you care so much.

I may still live at home, I may still be in college and I may still work in the service industry, but it sure beats the hell out of living by myself and being in the same boat. It could be even worse; I could have reached all my life goals on time only to still be unsatisfied.

While people sit back and judge those of us who are still living at home, we’re enjoying spending quality time with our parents and not having to pay (so many) bills so we can get our education debt free. Remember, it was the tortoise who won the race, not the hare.

I know every case of a 20-something still living at home isn’t exactly like mine. I know that there are some that still live at home and aren’t working towards bettering themselves, but for those of us that are, get off our backs. Humble yourself by taking a walk in our shoes for five minutes.

For those of you who managed to work full-time, go to school full-time and make rent on a place of your own, kudos. That is not easy. However, not all of us can be you no matter how hard we try.

I may not be on the same page as you, or even the same chapter for that matter, but I’m trying to enjoy the book just like you are.