20 Restaurants To Visit In Southern Maine

A foodie's dream come true.

305
google images

Aside from the blueberries, potatoes and lobster, Maine has a wide variety of tasty foods. Southern Maine is home to many small restaurants and cafés who attribute to the local food culture. From the pickiest eater to the cultural dare devil, Maine food satisfies any craving.

1. Amatos

Nothing's better than bringing a classic Italian to the beach.

2. Mainely Wraps

Locally owned and operated, Mainely Wraps satisfies any sandwich craving with their specialty wraps and paninis.

3. Otto's Pizza

Indulge in Otto's mashed potato, bacon and scallion pizza for a true taste of Maine.

4. Portland Pie Company

Don't let the name fool you, Portland Pie Company is home to delicious specialty gourmet pizza pies, all of which are named after things and places in Maine.

5. Old Port Sea Grill and Raw Bar

If you have the extra money to blow, the Old Port Sea Grill and Raw bar is known for its high quality imported and local seafood.

6. Salty Bay

Located right near Pine Point Beach in Scarborough, Salty Bay satisfies your cravings for fried scallops and clams. Order at the front and enjoy the view of the Scarborough marsh with the outdoor picnic tables.

7. Pat's Pizza

A Maine classic, Pat's Pizza has been around since 1931 and is known for its thin crust pizzas.

8. Run of the Mill Public House and Brewery

Enjoy fine food and a craft beer in this old mill-renovated restaurant and pub.

9. Margaritas Mexican Restaurant

Being the largest privately owned Mexican restaurant in New England, Margaritas serves authentic Mexican dishes and delicious margaritas.

10. Shay's Pub Grill

Home of the $5 homemade martini, Shay's Pub Grill offers upscale pub food and an intimate environment.

11. Boda

Offering late night specials, Boda serves Thai street food and provides a warm and cozy environment.

12. Duckfat

Duckfat is notoriously known for its Belgian-style fries cooked in duck fat.

13. Local Sprouts Cafe

A hub for vegetarian and vegan food options, Local Sprouts Cafe is a place for people to enjoy local food and work on projects. It is part of the Local Sprouts Cooperative, which provides Mainers with access to local, organic food.

14. DiMillo's on the Water

Not only does DiMillo's have some of the best seafood in Southern Maine, but it is also a former ferry boat that stays afloat in the Portland Harbor.

15. Salvage BBQ

Salvage BBQ is famous for its live music, picnic table seating and Texas-inspired barbecue food.

16. Becky's Diner

The perfect stop for brunch, Becky's Diner is a cozy, small, family-owned restaurant. Fun fact: Taylor Swift stopped in for dinner when she was in Maine for a video shoot in 2010.

17. Maine Diner

An award-winning family-owned restaurant, Maine Diner is known for its home-cooked food and history.

18. Flatbread Company

Located on Commercial Street in Portland, Flatbread Company is known for its brick oven pizzas and interesting mix of organic toppings. It combines a hip atmosphere with a seafaring view of Maine.

19. Five Fifty-Five

A bit pricy, Five Fifty-Five is known for it's sophisticated American food and five-course menu.

20. Lincoln's

This cash-only bar is a hidden establishment in Portland. Aside from a private Instagram account, Lincoln's has no online presence. It is a bar that offers all drinks for $5 dollars and is a cross between a dive bar and a speakeasy.