20 Questions: A Short List Of The Best Questions To Ask To Get To Know Someone

I consider myself an expert.

176265
Unsplash

If you were to look through my Google searches, you would find multiple occurrences of something along the lines of "questions to ask people." ...Hi, my name is Emma and I love questions.

In my opinion, asking questions is the greatest way to get to know people. They can help you break the ice with people you have just met or help you gain a deeper understanding of your close friends. These lists of questions that I find online facilitate discussion about topics I've never thought to ask about, and as dumb as it may sound, I truly credit them for deepening the bond I have among many of my friends.

The trouble is that once you get through a few lists of questions that are easily found online, the questions start becoming repetitive. So, with my extensive experience in question asking, I thought I'd put together a small list of questions that I have found to be the most fun, thought-provoking or unique. Enjoy!

1. What are three labels that you identify with?

2. What do you call something that is across both streets from you at an intersection (or diagonally across from you in general)?

Questions like these are fun, especially if you are with a group of people that are from all different parts of the U.S. Check out this New York Times quiz for more questions about our different dialects, and be prepared to be shocked about some of the words people use. (My answer to this question is "kitty corner.")

3. What is your happiest memory?

4. Tell the story of your first kiss.

Because what's better than recounting our awkward moments?

5. What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?

6. Do you think aliens exist?

7. What is your favorite thing about yourself?

Very telling of a person and often a feel-good question.

8. What is your favorite physical feature of the person next to you?

9. What was your favorite television show as a child?

This one tends to lead to a nostalgic reminiscence of all our childhood television shows and it's a great time.

10. What do you feel most proud of?

11. Who is the best teacher you ever had? Worst?

12. What's your biggest irrational fear?

13. What's the best Halloween costume that you've had?

14. What's your favorite lyric?

I also find people's answers to this so interesting. Knowing someone's music choice and what lyrics resonate with them really helps you see them at a deeper level.

15. Would you want to have the ability to read minds?

16. What is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?

17. If money wasn't a factor, how would you spend the rest of your life?

This is an amazing way to get to know who someone truly is.

18. What social issue is most important to you?

19. Do you believe in soulmates?

I find that some people have really fascinating ideas about this.

20. If you were invisible for a day, what would you do?