20 Lessons from 20 Years

20 Lessons from 20 Years

A self-reflection on my 20th birthday
33

As I write this, I have just two more days until my twentieth birthday. People often say that 20 year olds are still young and while I fully stand behind this, it doesn’t mean that 20 year olds don’t know much. I think I have learned a lot during my 20 years of life and although I still may have a lot to learn, what I have learned already is valuable to me.

1. Laughter is always the best medicine

2. Never let anyone get in the way of your passion

3. Sometimes you have to admit defeat and accept help from others

4. The only person responsible for your happiness is yourself

5. Holding grudges will only make you feel worse

6. A true friend should never be determined by how long you’ve known them for

7. Putting yourself out there can be terrifying but rewarding

8. You should never feel sorry for how you feel

9. The fact that you’ve fallen isn’t what matters, it’s how you get back up

10. Family should always come before anyone else

11. You’re not perfect and that’s ok

12. You can’t control the way others treat you but you can control how you handle it

13. No boy is worth the tears

14. Change is scary but it’s the only way you’re going to grow

15. Always appreciate the little things in life

16. Never be afraid to ask; the worst you’ll be told is no

17. Stress is always temporary

18. Your mom is always right

19. You can’t please everyone

20. Never take one second for granted