20 Things I Have Learned In 20 Years

20 Things I Have Learned In 20 Years

Maybe, I am, wiser than my years..

442
20 Things I Have Learned In 20 Years
Brian Zigelheaffer

Over the years, I have learned so many things not only about myself but about my family and friends – and just life in general. As my birthday approaches each year, I typically take time to reflect on the things I have learned about life, since the last time my birthday came around. I am turning 20, and there is no better time than the present to reflect on my year’s as a teenager.

1. Everything in life is not going to be handed to you, on a silver platter

My dad has always told me, that nothing in life is free. Over the years, I have come to find this statement true in so many aspects. I am incredibly thankful for my hard-work ethic, and I can truthfully say that I work hard for everything I have, and I am so proud of it!

2. No one is going to take care of yourself as you will

My mother has been my ultimate care-taker for the majority of my life. She had provided for me when I didn’t deserve it and took care of me through all of the pneumonia cases, stomach viruses and repetitive strep-throat cases. As I’ve gotten older, I have discovered that I am the best at taking care of myself when my mom isn’t around. I can get myself a Coke when I need it – I know that my mama is so proud!

3. Do unto others as you would have done unto you

Treat others how you want to be treated. If you’d want someone to hold the door for you, hold the door for someone else. Don’t be rude unto others, for they COULD be rude unto you.

4. Treat yourself!

Buy that package of cookies, schedule that nail appointment, take yourself out to dinner! I deserve a treat every once in a while!

5. Surround yourself with friends who make you laugh when nothing is even funny

After coming to college, I have learned the importance of good friends. Luckily, I enjoy spending time with a bunch of good time gals! My latest friend group of about 20+ people are all down for a good time, and I am so thankful for their friendships. No matter how many stressful things happen in a week, these gals can always put a smile on my face!

6. Chick-Fil-A is always the best option!

Chicken sandwiches, chicken nuggets, waffle fries, the sauces, the cookies - you name it, it’s great! It’s convenient and fast. The customer service is always impeccable, and I agree with their company’s values.

7. When in doubt, drink the Coke!

There is not a bad day that goes by, that doesn't deserve a good can of Coke!

8. Be yourself

In this world, full of social media, magazines, and tabloids – it is incredibly important to remember to stay true to yourself. Comfort Colors T-Shirts, Rainbows, Pearls, Watches, all the things...I love it. I may not have the trendy leggings or the swaggy shoes – but I am myself. And that’s 110% okay with me!

9. Don’t get caught up living someone else’s dream, in your own life!

It is your life. Live it the way you want. Don’t let anyone else determine your destiny. The end.

10. Dream Big!!!

The sky is the limit. Don’t let any of your doubts, or worries keep you from achieving your dreams!

11. Don’t make an effort to be friends with someone who will not make an effort for you

IF someone wants to be friends with you, she will make an effort. As my good friend always says, “the phone works both ways.”

12. The 5 Bs apply to every conversation in life!

Boys, Booze, Bible, Barack (Politics), Bucks – as a sorority girl, most people have heard of this concept. Not only during recruitment but in life in general. When meeting someone new, do not bring these topics of conversation with someone new.

13. Be humble, sit down

The one quality that I love about myself is humility. It is so incredibly important to remember to remain grateful, thankful, and blessed. God has blessed me beyond measures, and I could not accomplish my life goals without his destiny!

14. Spend time with your grandparents

Ever since coming to college, I have learned that spending quality time with your grandparents is so special. My grandparents treat me like a queen, and I am always forever thankful!

15. Always save money, when it is an option.

There are plenty of times present to be able to spend money when it’s appropriate. Use that coupon, take advantage of the special nights at the restaurants – one day it will pay off when that Nixon DSLR Camera is on sale!

16. Your opinion does not always need to be shared

An opinion is like everyone’s bellybutton – everyone has one, but NOT everyone needs to see it!

17. For me, it is better to dress for comfort rather than fashion

Your girl is all about comfort, you can be fashionably comfortable!

18. You can never be too organized

Planners, sticky notes, pens, highlighters, pencils, baskets – you can never be too organized. It will pay off!

19. Flip-flops are the best option!

I love a good pair of flip-flops. Rainbows, Jacks, even Birkenstocks...I cannot have my feet enclosed for a long period of time.

20. Celebrate every day like it is your last!

Every day given is a reason to smile. Every day is a reason to be thankful. Take opportunities, do your best, make the most of every moment!

These twenty “life-lessons,” are only a number of things I have learned over my years. Life lessons come through new friendships, and experiences. I am so excited for a new year to come around and see what I learn with my new friendships in the beautiful city.. just living the college life!