20 Most Instagrammable Spots In DC

20 Most Instagrammable Spots In DC

Do it for the 'gram.

8145
20 Most Instagrammable Spots In DC
Getty Images

DC is every photographer's dream. From the towering monuments to the avant-garde wall art, the city is brimming with amazing photo ops. Once known as a town that was "strictly politics," the capitol has started to build a name for itself as a haven for artists, too. For the budding artist (or just someone looking to up their Insta-game), check out these twenty great spots to photograph.

1. The Capitol Building

Now that the scaffolding is finally gone, the Capitol building is back in all its glory. Snap a shot of it during the day for a classic feel. For something more artsy, photograph the building at night on Pennsylvania Avenue to include the buzz of the city in the foreground.

Closest metro stop: Capitol South

2. Eastern Market

Ask any DC local about Eastern Market, and they're likely going to spend at least an hour telling you all about why this is their favorite place to go on the weekend. The hype is not unfounded though- check this place out for yourself and you'll see why. From outdoor stalls filled with vintage travel posters to the indoor bakery and florist (pictured above), this place is photography heaven.

Closest metro stop: Eastern Market

3. Capitol Hill Books

Nestled into a street near the famous Eastern Market, Capitol Hill Books provides Washingtonians with a quiet respite from the buzz of activity nearby. The outside of the shop is adorable, but so are the teetering stacks of books inside.

Closest metro stop: Eastern Market

4. The Tidal Basin

During Cherry Blossom season, there is no where in the city as beautiful as the Tidal Basin. Tourists flock here by the thousands, so get here early on a weekday to avoid the crowds.

Closest metro stop: Smithsonian

5. The National Mall

Most of DC's monuments are located on the mall, making it a prime spot for taking pictures. The fireworks on the 4th of July (shown above) are one of my favorite occasions to photograph the mall. Make sure to check out the World War II Memorial and the Washington Monument as well.

Closest metro stop: Smithsonian

6. The Harry S. Truman Building Main Lobby

Home to the Department of State, the Harry Truman building is the home of American diplomacy. Check out the main lobby of the building and you'll find a stunning display of flags. Be warned though that you can't go past the gates without a badge or an escort!

Closest metro stop: Foggy Bottom

7. Rose's Luxury

Not only does Rose's Luxury have the best food in town- it also has some great photo ops. In addition to it's romantic courtyard-like corridor, make sure you get a photo of it's famous sign.

Closest metro stop: Eastern Market

8. The National Gallery of Art's Roof Terrance

The National Gallery has been renovating its East Wing for the last few months, and now it is finally open to the public! The entire wing is full of amazing art, but for something really shocking check out Hahn the rooster on the wing's new roof terrace.

Closest metro stop: Archives/ Navy Memorial

9. Chinatown Arch

Situated right next to the Chinatown/ Gallery Place metro stop, this photo opportunity couldn't be more accessible. To capture the arch's brilliant colors, go during the day. For a shot with more dramatic lighting, stop by in the evening.

Closest metro stop: Chinatown/Gallery Place

10. The Sculpture Garden

The National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden is one of the most interesting outdoor spaces in DC. Come for Jazz in the Garden during the summer (a longstanding DC tradition) or for ice-skating in the winter.

11. The Jefferson Memorial

The Jefferson Memorial offers tons of great Instagram ops. The most traditional photos of the memorial are shot from across the Tidal Basin, but you can also get some interesting shots inside the memorial itself.

Closest metro stop: Smithsonian

12. M Street Murals

Georgetown is most famous for its fancy cupcakes but its wall art is worth checking out, too. M street has some great murals, and even more can be found if you venture off the main drag.

Closest metro stop: Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn

13. The Renwick Gallery

The Renwick's Wonder exhibition offers room after room of awe-inspiring beauty. Take photos of the exhibits, but make sure to read the descriptions of the artwork, too. Each piece has multiple layers of meaning that only add to its aesthetic beauty.

Closest metro stop: Farragut West

14. The Library of Congress

Step into the Library of Congress and you'll think you're in Rome. The ornately decorated European-inspired interior will have you memorized for hours.

Closest metro stop: Capitol South

15. NoMa Murals

NoMa (previously known as Swampoodle) is the newest up and coming neighborhood in DC, and is filled with creative energy. In addition to seeing the beautiful murals, you might also catch the neighborhood's talented trumpeteer in action.

Closest metro stop: Noma/ Gallaudet Univ.

16. United States Navy Memorial

The U.S. Navy Memorial is one of the city's most interactive memorials. Visitors can walk around on flattened out globe. It's especially fun to take a photo where you live, were born, etc.

17. Georgetown Waterfront

The Potomac might not be the prettiest river, but it does have some of the prettiest waterfronts in the country. Sit on the steps in Georgetown and watch the sun set behind the Rosslyn business district as planes come in for landing at Ronald Reagan. You won't regret it.

Closest metro stop: Rosslyn

18. Blind Whino

This church-turned-community center takes the concept of "colorful" to a new level. If you're interested in seeing what's inside, check their online schedule (found here) to see when they are hosting the next event.

Closest metro stop: Federal Center SW

19. Nationals Park

Nats fans and opponents alike agree on one thing: Nationals Park has some of the best views in the city. Sunset here is an absolute must see.

Closest metro stop: Navy Yard

20. Multiverse in the National Gallery of Art

Instead of walking outside to get from one wing to the other in the National Gallery of Art, take the indoor walkway. The walkway itself is encased in twinkling lights that make visitors feel like they are in Van Gogh's "Starry Night."