21 Classic Quotes Every Book Nerd Should Know

Sometimes a certain combination of words can speak to your soul.

575
Amazon

From "1984" to "Alice in Wonderland," certain books have stood out through history, not only because of their subject matter but, also because they have some of the best quotes that sum up generations.

1. "I do my best to love everybody." ("To Kill a Mockingbird")

2. "People always clap for the wrong things." ("Catcher in the Rye")

3. "The past can’t hurt you anymore, not unless you let it." ("V for Vendetta")

4. "How nice -- to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive." ("Slaughterhouse-Five")

5. "You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." ("Fahrenheit 451")

6. "Maybe there is a beast…maybe it’s only us." ("Lord of the Flies")

7. "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly from the past." ("Great Gatsby")

8. "Courage, dear heart." ("The Voyage of the Dawn Treader")

9. "If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn." ("Atlas Shrugged")

10. "I understand what you’re saying, and your comments are valuable, but I’m gonna ignore your advice." ("Fantastic Mr. Fox")

11. "I’d far rather be happy than right any day." ("Hitchhikers Guideto the Galaxy")

12. "Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." ("V for Vendetta")

13. "We can destroy what we have written but we cannot unwrite it." ("Clockwork Orange")

14. "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." ("Slaughterhouse-Five")

15. "Few people realize the immensity of vacancy in which the dust of the material universe swims." ("War of the Worlds")

16. "Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?" ("Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy")

17. "There, comrades, is the answer to all our problems. It is summed up in a single word—Man." ("Animal Farm")

18. "We’re all mad here." ("Alice in Wonderland")

19. "Perhaps one did not want to be love so much as to be understood." ("1984")

20. "Stay gold, Ponyboy." ("The Outsiders")

21. "So it goes." ("Slaughterhouse-Five")