20 Things I Learned By 20

20 Things I Learned By 20

20 lessons I wanted to share with you.

10
20 Things I Learned By 20
Natalia Parkinson

I turned 20 on the 1st of January and thought I would share 20 things I have learned by the age of 20.

1. Forgiveness doesn’t happen overnight.

Just because you have offered forgiveness doesn’t always mean it will make it easier for you to handle. Give it time.

2. Take a lot of pictures.

People complain that we millennials are wrapped around our phones, and maybe we are, but at the same time, those very devices are helping us preserve memories. I try to keep my phone away when with friends- except to snap a photo, capture the moment. You won’t get these moments back, so capture them.

3. The sun will always rise the next morning.

No matter what has happened, the sun will always rise the next morning, and you will keep going.

4. It’s okay to say no to someone, or something.

You don’t always have to say yes. You need time for yourself, to recharge, refill. How can you fill up other people if you yourself are empty?

5. It’s okay to eat that second, or third or [Insert number] Piece of pizza, or whatever.

Don’t worry about looking “fat” or like you are eating to much. Frankly, if you want to eat it then go for it. Eat whatever you want, and as much as you want.

6. You don’t always need to have everything figured out.

I am someone who likes to have control. I like to know how things are going to play out, what is going to happen. I am only 20 and have this feeling that I need to have everything figured out. I struggle with this, because part of me doesn’t want to give up control, and part of me knows that God has got this. This is a reminder to myself as well as you, in those moments, stop and breathe. Remember you just need to breathe- and put it in God’s hand.

7. Be open.

Be open with the people around you. Use your experiences to help them, to love them, and to let them love you. Don’t push others away because you are scared. Also, be open with yourself. The worst that can happen if you are open is that you get hurt, but if you fear that every morning, you aren’t going to live a very full life.

8. Sometimes, people will take more than you have to give.

Sometimes, people will take what you have to give and more. It will leave you feeling empty, broken and that is okay. Give yourself to others, as long as you give yourself time to recharge, refill.

9. Stop checking the scale- those numbers don’t define you.

As long as you are healthy and happy- don’t let those numbers scare you. They are just numbers, my friends.

10. It’s okay to cry.

Let the tears flow, if that is what you need to do.

11. Be passionate.

Be passionate in everything you do. If you aren’t passionate, what are you living for?

12. Learn to laugh at yourself.

Trust me, you are going to make mistakes, mess up. But why be hard on yourself for something you can’t change when you can just laugh at yourself and move on?

13. Home isn’t always a place.

Home isn’t always a place. Sometimes, home is simply people.

14. Pray.

No matter what you are going through, pray always.

15. Breathe more.

I know, I know this sounds dumb. Breathe more? I breathe daily- it keeps me alive. But listen to me. I don’t mean just breathe more as in oxygen intake. I mean breathe more as in deep breaths. Take moments to calm your mind and just breathe through life.

16. Say “I love you” more.

Never forget to tell your family and friends how much you love them. They deserve to know that you appreciate everything they do for you.

17. Listen more.

Sometimes all someone needs is someone to listen to them. Be that person.

Listen more, love more, be in the moment more.

18. Take adventures.

Go on adventures, even if it means getting ice cream at 2:00 AM with good friends. Make those memories- you’ll remember them for a life time.

19. Learn more.

Soak in all the knowledge you can. Learn about everything you can. Learn from your friends, your family, your coworkers, your classmates.

20. Learn to love yourself.

This is a hard one. I’ve struggled with this one for years. But you are your biggest fan. Eat well, exercise, eat that piece of cake if you want to. But never ever stop loving who God made you.