20 Pieces Of Advice From A 20 Year Old

20 Pieces Of Advice From A 20 Year Old

Some "wisdom" from a girl still figuring her life out

212
20 Pieces Of Advice From A 20 Year Old
Kaboom Pics

After just recently turning 20, I realized that I’ve learned a lot over these past two decades. I don’t consider myself an expert, but I wanted to share some of the things I learned/pieces of advice from my 20 years, and hopefully, this will give you some things to ponder on!

1. Always try on clothes before you buy them

You never know—that medium might fit like an extra small. And who has time for returning things?

2. You can’t change someone's core personality

No matter how much you want a significant other to be more of what you prefer, you likely won’t be able to change any of their core personality traits or habits. It’s best to either accept them as they are, or move on to someone who is better for you.

3. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

If you don’t communicate when you're unhappy, you’re probably going to have to keep enduring annoying things. If you speak up about it, you’re much more likely to be attended to.

4. If someone you respect gives you a recommendation on a book or film, give it a chance

I remember never wanting to watch Breaking Bad or any TV show with subtitles, but luckily I trusted my parents’ good taste in film and television, gave those shows a chance, and now can say they are some of my favorite shows of all time. It’s always worth a shot to try something new out.

5. Be nice to service industry and retail workers

People in the service industry work very hard and often have a lot on their plate, with numerous tasks to complete and people to satisfy, while still balancing their own personal problems. So unless someone is rude to you, you should start with always being polite and take it from there.

6. Goodwill and other thrift stores can be a gold mine

Some of my favorite items of clothing have been found for under $15 at Goodwill and other thrift stores. Sometimes you come across the funkiest and most entertaining things. If not for purchasing, at least visit your local thrift shop to see the interesting things people have decided to give away.

7. Be concise, and take pauses.

Sometimes being concise and only saying the bare minimum can be very beneficial. Take pauses and let others speak if you don’t know what to say, rather than rambling on from being nervous or feeling awkward.

8. Staring at (and appreciating) nature is important

The world is a beautiful place, and it is so vital to take a few seconds every day to notice the nature surrounding you.

9. "Command F" was a saving grace in High School and continues to be during college

If you don’t know how to use Command F, please figure out how to, because it will save your life with assignments based on questions from PDFs. You’re welcome.

10. If you tell someone that you’re ticklish, they WILL tickle you

THIS IS A FACT.

11. College is not like how they show it in the movies

Don’t expect anything from college. Go into it with an open mind and be prepared to be shocked that it is nothing like what is portrayed in television and film.

12. Existential crises are normal—in fact—ENCOURAGED

Contemplating life’s existence is actually very common with people our age, and it can be beneficial to one’s cognitive depth and morality.

13. Strong is the new pretty

Being a strong woman is much more important than superficial nonsense, and it is important to embrace your powerful self without feeling criticized for being less feminine. Own your power and strength and be proud to be a woman.

14. If you lend someone a pencil, you’re not getting it back

This also goes for bobby pins and hair ties. THIS IS ANOTHER FACT.

15. Stop apologizing so often

If you have no actual reason to, don’t apologize for small things if unnecessary. I’ve noticed that I sometimes default to saying “I’m sorry” for very insignificant things, and this actually subconsciously affects the way people treat you and the amount of confidence you have in yourself.

16. Pick your battles

Sometimes you just have to decide that it’s not worth getting into a fight. Choose your battles for the more significant issues, and you’ll be much happier in the end.

17. Read for pleasure as much as you possibly can

Reading for pleasure is an amazing thing, and although life can become incredibly hectic, it's imperative to get as much reading time in as possible.

18. Not everyone is going to like you, and you have to be okay with that

It took me a while to accept this, but now that I have, I actually feel much more at ease and relaxed in my life. Once you understand that there's not necessarily anything wrong with you, you realize that you might just not “click” with some people, and that’s OKAY.

19. Singing at the top of your lungs is the best feeling and you should do it whenever you have the chance

Whether it’s karaoke, in the car with the windows rolled down, or belting in the shower, singing loudly is a glorious feeling and should be exercised whenever possible.

20. It's okay to be unsure

You’re still young, and it’s alright to not know what you’re doing with your life, whether that be in a career, academic options, or personal lifestyle choices. You have time, and you’ll figure things out eventually.