10 Trends From The 1980s That Are 'Haute As Hell' In 2020

Spice up your wardrobe with some of these style trends from the '80s!

85
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

As fashion evolves, we often see influences from past decades. In recent years, the 1980s has made its mark on fashion and continues to do so in 2020. The '80s were a unique time for fashion, and the decade featured a diversity of style trends.

These included power dressing with shoulder pads and double-breasted jackets. Edgy, punk looks of distressed denim and black leather jackets. Popular athletic looks that featured leotards and bike shorts. And the mid-late '80s statement looks of bright colors and big hair.

There were also many style icons at the time who set forth many of the decade's trends including Madonna, Grace Jones and Princess Diana.

The '80s have inspired recent runway and red carpet looks and the looks of influencers we see on social media.

While there are a lot of style trends from the '80s making a comeback, here are 10 that are hot right now in 2020.

1. Puff Sleeve Tops

Puff sleeves originated in the late Victorian era and re-emerged in the 1980s. Princess Diana helped popularize this trend, they were staples in her wardrobe for casual and formal wear. Even her wedding dress in 1981 featured these voluminous sleeves. Although these sleeves were big enough in the '80s to make a statement, today there are styles available that are more subtle but still take a simple outfit to the next level.

2. Ripped Jeans

Ripped jeans started off as a symbol of rebellion in the UK during the 1970s before they became part of mainstream fashion. They became popular in the US during the hard rock and heavy metal era of the late 1980s. It was common to distress jeans with holes at the knees in the '80s. Today, ripped jeans remain in style and are a perfect way to add edge to any outfit.

3. Animal Print

Animal print clothing has been a part of fashion since the early 1930s. In the '80s, animal prints like snakeskin, zebra print and leopard print could be found on a variety of clothing and accessories such as tops, leggings, bags and shoes. Snakeskin and leopard print are the top animal prints currently trending in 2020. Animal prints are a trendy way to spice up an outfit and make a statement.

4. Mesh Tops

Mesh tops were a night-out essential that were commonly layered over bras and shirts. One of Madonna's wardrobe essentials was mesh vests. Today, sheer and fishnet mesh tops are still worn as nightlife attire. They are still layered over bras and tops, another common way to wear them are under T-shirts and dresses.

5. Neon

Neon colored clothes and accessories were trendy in the '80s. According to an '80s fashion blogger, neon was referred to as "fluorescent" at the time. Neon was commonly worn for nightlife and festivals. Today, neon is still a stylish addition to nightlife apparel but is now being incorporated into casual wear to add a pop of color. Neon shoes, for example, can be paired with white outfits, jeans or black dresses. Check out this guide from Who What Wear on how to wear neon.

6. Mom Jeans

Mom jeans refer to high waisted, straight legged jeans with a tight-waist, loose leg fit that were popular in the '80s. These jeans can be styled in many ways, such as with a crop top or graphic tee for the summer, or with a knit sweater and booties for the fall.

7. Bodysuits

Bodysuits were originally created for performance and sportswear. They gained popularity beginning in the 1960s and 1970s, even though they were introduced into fashion in the 40s and 50s. In the '80s, high-cut bodysuits were in style. Bodysuits are available in many styles, colors and fabrics, like regular tops, so they are easy and simple to style.

8. Off The Shoulder Looks

Off-the-shoulder dresses have been around since the early to mid-1800s. This style became known as the "Bardot" style after fashion icon Brigitte Bardot added her own flair to the off-the-shoulder style in the 1960s. Off-the-shoulder tops and dresses were a popular look in the 1980s. There were many variations of shoulder looks in addition to the Bardot style, such as the cut-out shoulder and one shoulder style. Off-the-shoulder tops and dresses have become a spring and summer staple.

9. Lace

Lace has been part of fashion since the 1600s. Madonna popularized lace in the 1980s to be worn as either accessories, tops or leggings. Her look for the 1984 MTV Video Music Awards – which featured a white lace bodysuit and long fingerless lace gloves – became a pop culture icon and solidified the ways in how lace would be worn in the '80s. Whether it's a lace top, dress, skirt or pants, lace is still fashionable in 2020 and the perfect garment for spring and summer wardrobes.

10. Jumpsuits

Jumpsuits were originally created for utilitarian purposes and did not become part of mainstream fashion until the 1960s and 1970s. They were popular in the 1980s and distinctly characterized by big belts, shoulder pads and tapered legs. Jumpsuits are an easy and stylish way to put together a look for any time of day and come in a variety of styles, some emulating the original style of '80s jumpsuits.