19 Things Every Girl Should Be Able To Confidently Do By The Time She's 19

This past year of my life has by far been my happiest and healthiest.

2255
pixabay

Today, I turn 19. And, yeah, I guess everybody's 19th is the most irrelevant birthday; 18 marks adulthood, 20 marks another decade, and 21 is, well... Anyways, though it might not be the biggest celebration, it means something to me.

This past year of my life has by far been my happiest and healthiest. Through the laughs and tears, I've learned so much about myself. Here are 19 things I learned to do as I turn 19.

1. Laugh at yourself

In the past year, I've done lot of embarrassing things. I've made mistakes big and small, but instead of sitting and dwelling on it, I've learned to pick myself up and laugh about them.

2. Recognize who your true friends are

In the past year, I've made the greatest friends imaginable. College has opened me up to incredible people from all over the country. Now that I know the value of true friendships, I don't bother with meaningless ones.

3. Manage your time

College is really stressful, as if you didn't already know that. As a Sophomore, (yes, I know, I have an extremely late birthday) it's important to refocus your goals and ask yourself what you really see yourself doing in the future. While it's important to work hard, I value my mental health and happiness just as much; I learned to find time to do the things I love.

4. Pull an all-nighter

For every time you feel like you have your s**** together, there will be just as many times when you feel like a wreck. Procrastination will catch up to you at some point and you'll have to learn how to manage.

5. Enjoy reading

Whether it be a fiction novel, the newspaper, or an autobiography, be able to dig into something. Hold yourself accountable for your own education and find entertainment in something other than Netflix.

6. Find your passion and pursue it

Finding what you love can be hard; it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what it is that makes you happy. In the past year, I started writing for the Odyssey. At first I didn't think much of it. I thought it would just be therapeutic and interesting to see how people respond to my ideas. I never would have imagined that this one small decision in my life would have sparked this journalistic dream of mine.

7. Give as much as you receive

From my writing, it might sound like I have it all figured out, but trust me I don't. Just like everybody else, my year has had disappointments too. I am the kind of person that when I get involved in something, I'm totally involved. It's disappointing when people don't give you the same kind of love or respect, but sometimes you have to take these things with a grain of salt.

8. Leave

Simple enough. When you've done all you can, if someone, whether it be a friend, hook-up, or serious partner, doesn't treat you right. Just, leave.

9. Make the best of things

Sometimes you're going to have to do things you just don't want to or be places you just don't want to be, but that's life.

10. Eat the damn pizza

Learn to not be the girl that always talks about how many calories she's eaten that day or what kind of crazy diet she's on. Literally, no one cares. Just eat what makes you happy, within moderation of course.

11. Exercise, and actually enjoy it

Eat 'till your heart and stomach are fulfilled, but know that it's important to maintain your health. Exercise can be a pain; it requires changing clothes, going to a gym, and sweating- ew! But, if you find a form of exercise you can enjoy, or even tolerate, you'll find yourself both physically and mentally healthier.

12. Live in the present

Stop Snapchatting the party you're at or your jam sessions in the car with friends, and stop Instagramming yourself on that flamingo float... again, no one really cares. Live in the moment. Life is ticking by and all you're going to have to show for it are some pictures and a few videos.

13. Dress appropriately

Know that there's a time and place for everything.

14. Listen

You don't know everything. You may think you do, but you don't. Listen to people's stories, beliefs and ideas. You'll learn so much from them and be able to engage in deep, meaningful conversations, which are really so much more interesting than surface level conversations.

15. Clean up after yourself

Not even going to lie, I am a slob. But after having a roommate for a year and a half, I learned it's important to be respectful of their space by cleaning up yours.

16. Handle yourself

Inevitably, there will be times when you are in an uncomfortable situation. Whether it be a creepy guy hitting on you, someone making a rude remark, or just a moment of awkward silence. Know how to carry yourself and remain above it all.

17. Appreciate the outdoors

Our generation spends way too much time inside. We like checking social media, playing video games and binge-watching Netflix. This world is beautiful, and it's all yours to discover. Go on a hike, go for a bike ride or go for a swim.

18. Drink coffee black

It's bitter, but so much healthier than coffee with creme and sugar. Besides, it's so quick and easy to drink on the go.

19. Give honest advice

Sometimes the truth can hurt, but it's better than letting someone you care about make a bad decision. When you are concerned about someone, let them know- you can only mean the best by doing so.