19 Quotes To Keep You Going When The Going Gets Tough

Never doubt the ability of a meaningful quote to light a fire in your soul.

2455
Author

I know that, to a lot of people, cheesy quotes are nothing to think twice about. But if you're anything like me, they can be very meaningful, and even have the ability to change the way you're feeling about a bad day or a certain situation. When I'm away at school, I write letters back and forth with my best friends from home. We started including a post-it note with encouraging and inspirational quotes on them each time, and slowly throughout the semester my desk fills with these post-it quotes. As silly as it seems, every time I look at them or read one, I'm reminded that the people who care about me most thought that those words were ones worth hearing.

So I wanted to share some quotes that I think are worth hearing when you just need a little reminder or push to keep going. Special thanks to Pinterest for the neverending supply of much-needed quotes :)

1. "Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful." - Joshua J. Marine

2. "I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed: and the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I fail and keep trying." - Tom Hopkins

3. "When nobody else celebrates you, learn to celebrate yourself. When nobody else compliments you, then compliment yourself. It’s not up to other people to keep you encouraged. It’s up to you. Encouragement should come from the inside." - Joel Osteen

4. "Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." -Thomas Edison

5. "The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost

6. "Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." - Dale Carnegie

7. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

8. "Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin to Pooh, A.A. Milne

9. "There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is merely the comparison of one state to the other. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss." - Alexandre Dumas

10. "The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the other people." - Randy Pausch

11. "You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." - C.S. Lewis

12. "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." - Earl Nightingale

13. "It always seems impossible until it's done." - Nelson Mandela

14. "Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be." - Sonia Ricotti

15. "Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore, J.K. Rowling

16. "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." - Francis of Assisi

17. "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean

18. "Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship." - Buddha

19. "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." - Carol Burnett

Just remember what they always say; when the going gets tough, the tough get going.