Why Being 19 Is Such An Awkward Age

Why Being 19 Is Such An Awkward Age

Are we really adults, though?

80
Why Being 19 Is Such An Awkward Age
Shelby Alldred

We're on our own, but not really.

Most of us technically don't live at home anymore, but we're not totally financially independent.

We're expected to act like adults, but we still feel 12.

Yes, as far as the law is concerned, we are adults. But, let's be honest, we all don't like calling and making appointments for ourselves. We don't know how to do our own taxes. And grocery shopping just consists of buying Mac&Cheese and snack foods.

This is something I like to call the transition period.

We are technically adults, but we don't get treated like one (probably due to the fact that we don't really act like one). We joke about how much "adulting" sucks, but in all honesty, I don't think doing keg stands every weekend counts as "adulting".

All in all, it's a very awkward period where we're all just trying to "find out who we are" and all of the other cliche BS.

However, I was given some advice the other day that kind of stuck with me.

I was told that this is the time to be doing this "awkward transition". It's the time to figure yourself out, but also the time to be spontaneous and fun and dangerous and semi-stupid. The advice ended with "have fun being an adult-ish. Have fun being twenty-something" (or 19).

All in all it's very awkward and none of really have a clue in the world as to what we're doing. But I guess that's the best part. And we've all surrounded ourselves with a group of people that are just as lost as we are, but hopefully we can figure it out together.

We're on our own, but not really.