The Anatomy Of The Friend Group

The Anatomy Of The Friend Group

The dynamic of your friend group- something no outsider will ever understand.

156
The Anatomy Of The Friend Group
Catherine Miller

Each group has a different history- maybe you have all been friends since you were nine years old or you may have all met in college. Each group has different experiences together- whether that means you went through a rough time of your life with them or maybe you all just like going out and having fun together. Each group has people with a multitude of backgrounds- coming from all over the world, having different family structures. Regardless of where you came from or where you’re going in life, each friend of your friend group probably means the world to you. And knowing your friend group like you do, you know there are some characters in the bunch.

1. The Leader Of The Pack

Sometimes bringing you to the victory and triumph of an amazing weekend and sometimes dragging you down with them; there’s always the one who enforces all the ideas of the group. Stupid or not, someone has to put them into action, right? We all know who they are. They are probably the loudest and most bold of the group, not afraid of anything or anyone, and definitely loves making things happen. Our world’s future managers, CEOs, and business owners have to start somewhere!

2. The Silent But Deadly

It’s always the quiet ones…. They don’t say much but when they do watch out, you’ll be either laughing your ass off or thinking to yourself, “why don’t they talk more." They aren’t scared to speak their mind but it makes what they say so much more impactful when they do. You know that when they start talking, you should never interrupt because it doesn’t happen often. They also usually have a much louder, close counterpart.

3. The Comedian

The jokester of the group is the same one who won class clown and constantly has people laughing. They may have jokes, terrible puns, or they may just be plain ridiculous in everything they do. Regardless of their style we all have that one person that we never stop laughing with. Hold them close to you.

4.The Trouble Maker

We all have one of those friends that is always up to something. Reckless, dangerous, thoughtless, carefree, and daring. They keep the innocent ones of the group on their toes at all times. People are always calling them crazy but they know they’re just having fun.

5.The Drunk

Probably buddy-buddy with the trouble maker, we all know someone who’s always ready to get blackout drunk no matter what the circumstances are or where you’re going. They seem fun now but their livers will be paying for later. Keep your drunk biddies safe always because they’ve probably taken care of you at least once too.

6. The Happy One

Their favorite color is probably yellow or orange and they always have a smile on their face. They leave cute little notes around and always encourage you to be the best you can be. Probably lowkey (or highkey) hated by the pessimist, nothing seems to drag them down or bother them. They’re the ray of sunshine on a cloudy day and will never stop trying to make other people around them just as joyful as they are, but remember, everyone has their breaking points.

7. The Klutz

The injury-prone klutz who is always slipping, tripping, falling, or spilling. When inviting them out you always keep the first responders on speed dial, just in case. They are a hazard to themselves and others around them. Taking them out to eat is a story in and of itself. They knock over cups, drop food on themselves, and are generally messy because of who they are as a person. But don’t worry, if you think you’re the clumsy one, we’re laughing with you, not at you.

8. The Pessimist

They walk around with a dark cloud hovering over them. They typically see the bad in situations and always seem annoyed by the littlest things. But they are still an amazing friend. Even though they see the glass half empty, they’ll make sure that you see the glass as half full. They have all the best snarky remarks that will make you fall off your chair and they sometimes can see a different perspective than what you can see. They probably have a slightly more positive counterpart that tags along with them and that keeps them from killing everyone else in the friend group. They’ll definitely keep you thinking and make you realize that maybe you’re not as miserable as you thought you were.

9. The Moms and Dads

The future caretakers and “parent of the year” title winners. They have a special way of making people feel cared for and always know what to say. People gravitate to them for advice or a shoulder to cry on, when they’re hungry, or when they need anything under the sun. They probably sit shotgun in every Uber and are pros at phone calls. They’re the most mature and dress like a mom or dad would. Also, their head will turn every time they hear “mom” or “dad”.

10.The Workout Junkie

Your personal fitspiration and motivation to keep your body goals in check. You can’t work out WITH them because they’ll leave you in the dust or out lift you by approximately 1000 pounds but it’s nice to keep them around as a daily reminder of all the things you should be doing.

11. The Junk Food Lover

Probably has the fastest metabolism in the world so they got used to eating enough for a village. They love all foods from dinner food to salty foods to every sweet food there is. Not only do they love food but they love eating a lot of it too. When you go to their house they always have a best snacks and you know if you’re ever hungry you can go there and have an endless supply of all the foods your mom never let you eat growing up.

12. The Foreigner

At first you are intrigued that they come from a different place but after knowing them for a while you realize they’re not all that different. They have stories about growing up and you know your childhood’s are very different but life brought you together for a reason. They may end up being one of your best friends and that is something beautiful. Also you’re already used to their accent and don’t even hear it anymore.

13. The Rich One

They buy you the best birthday presents, always offer to pay for the Uber, and always have an extra $20 around if you find yourself short on gas money. Their parents still give them money but that’s okay because they never flaunt it and always spread that love around the friend group. Yeah, okay, they may have too much Vineyard Vines apparel and accessories to match but you love them still. And oh, they definitely have the coolest/ biggest/ most extravagant bedroom out of the group.

14. The One Who’s Always Broke

“Hey can you spot me?” is one of their go to lines or “sorry I can’t go I’m broke” or the infamous “I really shouldn’t go get food with you” aka guilting you into buying for them so you don’t have to go out by yourself. They might have a job and really poor money management skills, no pun intended, or they might just be lazy and accept how little money they constantly have. On the other hand, whenever they do come into money they blow it on the most useless things.

15. The Mooch

Whether it’s stealing your food, using your makeup, wearing your clothes, or taking advantage of your kindness they’re a mooch, plain and simple. You are painfully aware of it and they may be as well but nothing will change. They say they’ll “get you back” but you know they won’t so you just accept it.

16. The Nerd

Loves school, always seems to be doing homework, and skips hangouts because they are studying. They probably have a higher GPA than you but that’s okay because you love them anyways. They most likely lack the common sense that the leader of the pack is well known for but will get a good starting salary in whatever they decide to do.

17. The Procrastinator

They always have a to do list as long as the line at the DMV and it never seems to decrease in size. They may look like they are being productive but it’s all a show. They will sit at their laptop while trying to write a paper for hours before they put a single word on the page, other than the heading, of course. The procrastinators may be confused with being lazy but once they start their task, there is no stopping them.

18. The Late One

This one should be last because they're always the last one to the party. They are perpetually running late and delay the whole group often. You have to tell them to be ready an hour before everyone else so they finish when everyone else does. You lie about what time things start to the late ones constantly, from fifteen minutes to an hour. You know they will always be there last, just fashionably late I guess.

We all have if not all, at least one of the friends on this list. You know they may have their quirks and downsides but if they weren’t a part of your group you wouldn’t be the same. They say you’re a combination of your five closest friends, so which combo are you?