17 Struggles Only Nannies Will Understand

It's not as easy at it looks.

176

I have been a nanny to the same family for about six years now, and I love my job - and yes, being a nanny is in fact, a job. That being said, I have faced countless struggles along my way to becoming a Mary Poppins wannabe.

1. You’ve had a great day, filled with laughing and fun activities, but right before bed they gang up on you with simultaneous meltdowns and your day is ruined.

2. When the kids ask some weird, personal, grownup questions and you have no idea how to answer it, or even if you should.

3. When you come into work and you see the kids are sick, you know that you’ll be sick the next day…

4. When brother and sister start fighting over something you don’t even understand, you just watch and let it happen because you have no idea how to stop it.

5. That moment when you step on one of their small (of course) pointy/sharp toys that is still lying on the floor after you’ve begged them to pick it up.

6. When you’re telling the kids what to do, and they keep asking, “Why, why do we have to?” “WHY?!” Because I freaking said so, that’s WHY!

7. The struggle of knowing every theme song to every cartoon on Earth.

8. When you have to be brave and get over your irrational fears because the kids heard a weird noise, and now their house is filled with ghosts.

9. Feeling stupid when trying to help them with their homework, that you don’t even understand.

10. Going out in public with them and getting the judgy looks, because people think I’m 22 years old with two kids. No I did not have these babies when I was 15…

11. At dinner when they’ve already eaten all the chicken nuggets and macaroni, their stomach magically starts to hurt so they can’t eat their broccoli. But don’t worry, they will still want dessert.

12. Getting through bath time without tears is something to be celebrated.

13. As a nanny, you spend more time with the kids than you do with your own friends.

14. Calling me a babysitter is a sure fire way to piss me off.

15. When I get asked what my job is and I say nanny and their response is, “No, I mean real job.” REALLY?! You think being responsible for two small human lives isn’t a job?

16. At the end of the day, you love your job so much that you don’t want to the kids to grow up so they will need you forever.

17. And you also love the fact that you have become an irreplaceable member of another family, and you will do anything to protect those kids…because they’re basically yours.