17 Songs That Will Instantly Take You Back

A list of songs that are bound to make you feel good.

1048
Unsplash

As you’re about to see from this article- my music taste is really all over the place. But in my opinion, when you feel a song, you feel a song no matter the genre. Listening to music is one of the best things to match and regulate your mood whether you happen to be sad, happy, excited, or just want to feel something new. Maybe you’ve heard of some of these songs, or maybe you haven’t heard of any of them. This is my own personal list of songs I’ve compiled that always make me feel something and maybe they’ll help you feel something too.

1. Broadripple is Burning- Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s

While this song has some morbid lyrics, if you don’t read into them too much this song shouldn’t make you sad. If you’re going to download and listen to this song make sure you find the version with the harmonica in the beginning- that one’s the best. “And everything that I have loved has turned to stone. So pack your bags and come back home.”

2. Wait- M83

This song barely has any lyrics at all in it, but this is a classic case of quality over quantity. It’s a great song for playing in the background while you’re reading or even while you’re driving in the car by yourself. It kind of has the soothing effects of ocean and nature noises all wrapped up into one song that will make you feel content. “There’s no end. There is no goodbye.”

3. Nine in the Afternoon- Panic! At the Disco

This is a happy one. It’s a song that makes you want to walk downtown laughing with your best friends and just take a breath of fresh air. It makes you realize that the simplest things in life can bring you the purest forms of pleasure. “Back to the place where we used to say: Man it feels good to feel this way. Now I know what I mean.”

4. Skinny Love- Bon Iver

Although the original writer of this song is Bon Iver, the first version I heard of it was the cover of version by the artist Birdy. Both versions have their own perks- Birdy sings the lyrics with such sadness and despair that you form more of an emotional connection with it. The Bon Iver version is more folky sounding and upbeat, but he still finds a way to make the song emotional in a different kind of way. At one point in the refrain, it almost sounds like he’s yelling at the listener and you can hear the apparent pain in his voice when he delivers the words. “And I told you to be patient, And I told you to be fine, And I told you to be balanced, And I told you to be kind.”

5. Lovebug- The Jonas Brothers

I know a lot of people will probably laugh at me for putting this one on the list but I couldn’t resist. I get that it’s an old song from a washed up boy band from our childhood but it has such a good message. I really think our generation is made up of a bunch of immature people who think it’s stupid to go on dates and do nice things for the people we care about. We’re afraid to tell people how we actually feel about them and we leave too many things unsaid. Commitment shouldn’t be a scary thing- tell the girl or guy how you feel, be thoughtful, stay young, and most importantly- don’t be afraid to be in LOVE. " Hopeless, head over heels in the moment. I never thought that I'd get hit by this love bug again."

6. Take a Walk- Passion Pit

This song really has a killer beginning music-wise that should pump you up instantly. I love to be ironic so I usually listen to this song when, you guessed it, I’m TAKING A WALK *budum-che* But in all seriousness, this song has a powerful, upbeat presence, and it’s basically saying that shit happens sometimes and you just gotta walk it off. Life doesn’t stop for anybody. "Practice isn't perfect. With the market cuts and loss. I remind myself that things could be much worse."

7. Always Something there to Remind Me- Naked Eyes

This is the first song on the list out of a couple others that I’ll mention later that I consider an oldie but a goodie. If you listen to the lyrics it’s actually such a depressing song, yet the music that is played with it is your typical happy 80’s beats which cancels out all of the sadness. I might be reading too much into this song but I think the structure of it is a metaphor for some parts of life. We can have something completely tragic and heartbreaking happen to us and go through the motions but there’s still going to be so many exciting things going on around us that we can’t bring down with our sadness. On the other hand, this song also makes you think, wow I wish someone missed me as much as this guy misses this girl he’s singing about. “I was born to love her, and I will never be free. You'll always be a part of me”

8. Come on Eileen- Dexys Midnight Runners

My sister always complains that I never write about her, so here you go Grace- this one’s for you. I first really heard this song in a dance scene in the movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Patrick and Sam are old souls and when they hear this song being played they exclaim, “THEY’RE PLAYING GOOD MUSIC” and then follow with one of the most iconic dance routines in movie history, in my opinion. When I first got my license and started to drive my sister places I played this song for her and to my surprise, she ended up liking it. Ever since then it’s been OUR song and we’ve even tried to attempt the dance routine but we’re both pretty horrible dancers so we usually just stick to car rides. No matter where you listen to this song, and whether you dance to it or not, it somehow always has the ability to make you feel free. “We are far too young and clever. Remember. Too ra loo ra too ra loo rye aye. And you'll hum this tune forever.”

9. Vagabond- Misterwives

I’m sure a lot of people have heard Reflections by Misterwives but they have so many songs that are vastly underrated including this one. Besides the awesomeness of the lead singer’s voice, this song will make you feel lost and alone, and leave you not knowing where to go. But the point is that it’s okay to feel all of these things, because you have to lose yourself before you can get found. “Vagabond is you, swam the sea at the darkest blue. You made it, made it through.”

10. The Night We Met- Lord Huron

This song was probably discovered by most people, including myself, in the show 13 Reasons Why. The lead vocalist’s voice is not only magnificent but the lyrics are so full of sorrow and regret that every time you listen to it, it will make you think about all of the things you wish you could change in your life. It’s quite a bittersweet feeling, full of mixed emotions when you listen but in the end, this song makes you feel at peace with some of the things you know you can’t go back and change. “I had all and then most of you. Some and now none of you. Take me back to the night we met.”

11. Supermarket Flowers- Ed Sheeran

Did you really think I was going to be able to get through this list without mentioning the brilliance of Ed Sheeran at least once? I know they play the same two songs from his Divide album on the radio over and over again but I promise there are so many more songs worth listening to, including this beaut. I remember when this album first came out my family and I had just lost one of our dear friends and we were all taking it pretty hard. I was driving home from picking up food and as I was passing the building our dear friend used to work at, this song came on and instantly gave me chills. The lyrics didn’t specifically apply to the relationship I had with this friend, but they didn’t have to- the song is about heartbreaking loss in general, and that was enough for me to be a sobbing mess for the rest of the ride home. RIP Matt, we miss you more each and every day. “And I hope that I see the world as you did 'cause I know. A life with love is a life that's been lived.”

12. Let Me In- Grouplove

This is a song where the lyrics are important but it’s the music that gives off the true feelings of the song. It’s about wanting someone to let you into their world and being willing to wait as long as you have to in order to be with the one epic love of your life. But instead of the song being mopey and sad, it makes you feel optimistic about eventually being with that one person and hopeful that one day they’ll want you back too. Sometimes, the greater things in life are just worth the wait. “Gimme, gimme that love, I'll be waitin' for ya'. Catch my hand, I'll be fightin' for ya'.”

13. Wouldn’t it Be Nice- Beach Boys

Here’s another oldie but goodie. This song has such a happy vibe to it that it makes you feel excited about all the things you haven’t even done in your life yet. The older feel the song gives off mixed with the eternal states of happiness that it seems to be in, in a sense, makes you feel nostalgic about your future. “Wouldn't it be nice if we were older? Then we wouldn't have to wait so long.”

14. We Don’t Have to Take Our Clothes Off- Ella Eyre

This song personally hit home for me the first time I heard it and I’m sure it will resonate with you if you were ever taken advantage of by anyone in any way. By the way this song was written and played, the artist seems to know how it feels to want to be treated with respect and appreciated for who she is rather than just be objectified yet again. This song will hopefully leave you feeling empowered afterwards because you are worth so much more than anyone can ever make feel. "Why do you have to move so fast? We don't have to take our clothes off to have a good time."

15. Only the Good Die Young- Billy Joel

Here’s my last oldie but a goodie recommendation. I never considered myself a big Billy Joel fan but honestly I didn’t know what i was missing out on until I started listening to some of his songs this year. Even though the lyrics can be quite ambiguous in some parts, this song is basically equivalent to our modern day YOLO. Although most of Joel’s songs, especially this one, give you that old school feel when you listen to them, they will never fail to make you realize that it’s never too late to start being young and live the life you want to live. “They say there's a heaven for those who will wait. Some say it's better but I say it ain't.”

16. Electric Love- Borns

This song is played in the perfect sparkling city night scene in the movie Nerve and special moments like that are the only way to do this song justice. If you play this song at the right place and time, you're guaranteed to feel infinite. If you’re familiar with The Perks of Being a Wallflower, this is a definite contender to be the perfect tunnel song. The way the songs sounds just makes it feel like the words are running through your veins and for a moment you don’t have to worry about all the other problems in your life- just the way you feel at that moment. “Baby you're like lightning in a bottle. I can't let you go now that I got it.”

17. All of You- Betty Who

This very last song I’d like to mention never fails to remind me of a lot of fond memories. This one’s for my friends Liv and Amanda- who tried to memorize all the lyrics to a song I already knew so we could all sing it together at the top of ours lungs with the windows down and our hair flying all over the place. And we eventually did, and we continue to do it each and every time this song comes on. My feelings towards this song are connotative so if you’re reading this you might not get why this song is so great, but we all have songs that make us feel different ways and remind us of the best times of our lives. "Oh, wind me up tight, convertible nights with you. Oh, I'll give you romance, a hundred last chances too." This song makes me feel lucky, lucky enough to have friends that will help me feel things even when the words and music from songs fail to do so. I love All of You more than you’ll ever know.