17 Great Movies/Shows To Watch On Netflix In 2017

If you haven't already seen them, that is.

295
Social Media Today

What better way to start off the new year than with some Netflix recommendations to watch or re-watch? Here are 17 of my favorite shows and movies on Netflix that I wanted to share with you (especially since some of them have only recently been added).

1. Captain America: Civil War

I have to start off with this one because it was just recently added on Netflix, much to my excitement. This is the third edition of the Captain America movies, and I enjoyed it for the most part, even if there was a disappointing plot twist at the end. I assume if you're a Marvel fan like me, you've likely already seen it in theaters (and probably more), but it's another potential addition to your Netflix collection.

2. Home

This movie came out in 2015, but it was only added to Netflix within the past year or so. It's an animated Dreamworks movie that I realize has not gotten as much awareness as other recent cartoon movies, which is why I'm recommending it. I absolutely loved this movie and think it's an adorable story that is great for all ages, so you should definitely pull it up on Netflix and watch it!

3. Zootopia

This amazing �Disney movie hit theaters last spring and I am very happy to see it on Netflix. I realize the movie is still fairly new, so if you don't know much about it, you can read more about it in this article I wrote when it first came out. As per usual for Disney, it's hilarious, heartwarming, and also has an important moral message. Bonus: there's no romantic subplot between the two main characters.

4. Pretty Little Liars

PLL was one of my favorite TV shows for years, and the only one I bothered to keep up with consistently every week. Granted I kinda fell out of the loop of it a year ago-- just got busy with school and didn't bother to get back into it-- but I can and will still recommend it because it's one of the most compelling shows I've ever watched. While it may seem on the outside like a trashy high school drama, it will have you on the edge of your seat with every episode.

5. Lilo and Stitch

Another awesome Disney movie on Netflix-- extra points for it being an old one! I think this is one of the more underrated Disney movies. It embodies the theme of strong female leads and shows the importance of love among family, particularly among sisters, way before Frozen did. There aren't very many of the classic Disney films on Netflix, so embrace this one!

6. The Babadook

Totally doing a 180 with movie genres here. This Australian film from 2014 is actually a horror movie, so if you're a fan of those, then this is definitely a good suggestion for you, especially because it's not your stereotypical "scary" movie. It's more of the psychological mindfuck type of horror movie. I don't always enjoy horror films, but I am personally a huge fan of that type of horror, so it was pretty entertaining for me when I recently saw it. Definitely the right recommendation for anyone seeking a good thriller.

7. The Lizzie McGuire Movie

I just recently found out this was on Netflix and I cannot contain my excitement over it! One of the greatest old Disney channel movies of our generation and I know we all still know all the songs from it word for word. If you're looking for one of the best childhood throwbacks, you need not look any further than this.

8. The Cheetah Girls

Another fantastic childhood throwback right at your fingertips. I always loved the Cheetah Girls in their movies and in general because of how empowering they were for girls. This is also a movie with catchy songs that we can all still sing along to, and you can be doing that in no time if you log on your Netflix and pull it up!

9. How I Met Your Mother

If you've seen even just a little bit of this TV show, you more than likely know it's hilarious. The one-liners will keep your attention and have you laughing at every episode. Also, Neil Patrick Harris. Enough said. There are plenty of factors that make this a binge-worthy show.

10. Friends

Although not Disney, here is yet another great throwback that is still timeless. If you've *gasp* never watched Friends,it's a comedy sitcom type series, like HIMYM, that will have you cracking up every few minutes. The great thing about this show is how relatable the characters are, even to this day! Even if you've watched it before it's perfectly entertaining no matter how many times you want to view it.

11. Stranger Things

Yes, I did have to make this one #11. (Those of you who have seen this show, please don't hate me for that joke.) I've mentioned the amazingness of Stranger Things in a few of my other recent articles, but I'll still take every opportunity I get to recommend it. Like PLL, it's extremely thrilling and compelling, as well as hilarious and entertaining. The second season should be out on Netflix fairly soon, but for now, binge the first season while you can-- having only 8 episodes makes it easy to do so!

12. The Twilight Zone

Yet another old favorite that I was psyched to see show up on Netflix. I used to watch episodes of this all the time growing up and now I'll definitely be watching them again. Let's face it, The Twilight Zone is the original Stranger Things. If you enjoyed that, you'll definitely love TTZ, so you need to give it a try for sure if you haven't already done so.

13. The OA

The OA is another suspenseful thriller-type series that, like Stranger Things, just came out this year on Netflix. Since it's even newer, it isn't quite as well known yet, but it's just as intense, if not even more, than ST! There is also only one season with eight episodes released right now, so it's easy to breeze through, even though some of the episodes are really long. Be warned though; the series is at times very graphic and emotionally gripping, especially the ending.

14. Supernatural

An oldie but definitely a goodie. It's been a few years since I've watched Supernatural but I haven't forgotten how binge-worthy it is. Whether you've watched the show or not, put on any given episode and you won't be able to stop.

15. Parks and Recreation

This series is pretty popular by now, so if you haven't watched it, you've definitely at least heard of it. I can verify that that's for good reason. Parks and Rec is one of the funniest shows I've seen, hands down, even though I haven't watched it in its entirety. If you're looking to just get some laughs as a means of escaping the pressures of the world, this show will be the right pick for you.

16. Hugo

I don't know how long this movie has been on Netflix, but I'm excited to see it on there! This came out about 5 years ago now; I remember watching it in theaters and I loved it. I don't remember much of the details of the movie,����� but I know it was so acclaimed that it won several awards and stayed in theaters for at least 4 months. The plotline is just so dramatic, enjoyable, and well-done.

17. Charlie St. Cloud

I guess this also only recently got added to Netflix, because I don't remember seeing it on there before, but I also remember when this movie came out and how much I loved it. I watched it several times and can probably now watch it several more. It is a tearjerker that will tug at your heartstrings, so be prepared to tear up more than once, but don't let that distract you from the amazingness of the movie!