17 Free And Cheap Things To Do In Ohio In 2017

Who knew Ohio had so many places to visit?

2135
Movoto

We're only halfway through the year 2017, so why not make the rest of it fun? When thinking of Ohio, the first things that pop into the heads of many are cornfields and our famed sports teams. That's not the case, as there are many sites to visit around Ohio. Check some of these out and if you're curious, why not check into more? Before visiting, make sure to research more on each site to ensure that there are no special accommodations that may inconvenience you.

1. The Great Serpent Mound

Found in Hillsboro, the Great Serpent Mound is a great place to take a walk around and enjoy the scenery. It's around 1,330 feet long and was built by the early "mound builders." They're not quite sure who built the structure, but researchers have evidence of it being built nearly a thousand years ago. No one is exactly sure what the structure is supposed to symbolize, either, although there are a number of theories to explain it. If you're interested, try checking it out.

2. Harry Andrews' Chateau Laroche

This beautiful castle is found in Loveland and is only five dollars per person for a self-guided tour through the chateau. What makes it special is that the castle was built entirely by Harry Andrews himself. He started building it in 1929. However, after he unfortunately died one night after an accident involving a fire in the castle, there are now rumors of the chateau being haunted.

3. The Moonville Tunnel

Think you're brave? Try checking out this supposedly haunted tunnel near the old town of Moonville, then. Above the tunnel is an old railroad line that is known to be the cause of many deaths, many of which were around the tunnel. The tunnel lead to an old mining town that reached its most popular point in 1870 and is now abandoned, only adding more creepiness to the paranormal factor.

4. Topiary Park

Topiary Park is found in Columbus and is known to be a perfect representation of French artist George Seurat's A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. You can take a self-guided tour and take beautiful pictures for you and your family, or even a cute couple photo. Donations are preferred, as all donations and sales in the gift shop are used to take care of the park.

5. The Frozen Cleveland Lighthouse

Do you like site-seeing? Go see the frozen Cleveland lighthouse. Due to ice cold waves crashing against the lighthouse, the lighthouse gained layers of ice, encasing it in the frozen barricade.

6. Warner and Swasey Observatory

Unfortunately, this site is no longer in operation. It's only been abandoned since 2007, so there is no paranormal activity happening here.The observatory is just another site to visit and embrace its beauty. It was abandoned after the city started developing, shining too brightly for tourists and researchers to be able to see the night sky.

7. Buckland Gallery of Witchcraft and Magick

Are you interested in wiccan artifacts and magic? If so, take a trip to this museum in Cleveland which will surely satisfy your curiosity. The museum costs five dollars per person. One special feature of this little museum is that there are actually artifacts from the Salem Witch Trials that can be found here. Enjoy!

8. Miamisburg Mound

Remember that Serpent Mound from earlier? Well, one of the supposed groups that may have built that mound are the architects of this one. It is the tallest mound in Ohio and was built around 2,500 years ago. Fun fact: in 1869, explorers found a chamber deep in the mound and a skeleton along with it.

9. Langsdon Mineral Collection

In Celina, the public library hosts a displace of 900 minerals from 21 countries around the world. The display is open to the public and allows visitors to check out the cool minerals and even learn a little about them.

10. The Cleveland Arcade

Looking for a shopping trip? Check out this large indoor mall located in Cleveland. This beautiful place hosts a number of shops and restaurants to check out, as well as the famed Cleveland Arcade.

11. Sidaway Bridge

We all know the cruel history of the United States and racism. This bridge is just one landmark used as evidence to prove that the prejudice was evident in our society at the time. Found in Cleveland, the bridge is known as the only suspension bridge to be built in the area. Not only were victims' bodies of the infamous "Cleveland Torso Killer" found in this valley, but the bridge was also a major perspective changer in the then-segregated city. After racial tensions rose in the area, someone had torn up the bridge by tearing the planks off of it and then burning the bridge to ensure that African American children would not be able to cross the bridge and go to the white schools. The remains of the bridge still stand in the valley today, although the area is blocked off so for a good view of the bridge you might have to find another spot to view it from. Remember, no trespassing.

12. National Museum of the U.S. Air Force

In Dayton, visitors are treated to this museum which allows tourists to learn all about our air force and even see some cool aircraft models. The best part? Admission is free.

13. McKinley Presidential Library and Museum

In honor of the deceased former president, this museum was built on the site of William McKinley's memorial. Found in Canton, tourists can visit this museum which features archives of the president but also a science museum, history museum, and a planetarium. The admission is only ten dollars per person.

14. Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial

In 1912, construction of this memorial began. Found in Put-In-Bay, the memorial was constructed to honor Oliver Hazard Perry, who led the United States to a famous naval victory during the War of 1812. The memorial is meant to recognize everlasting peace between the countries who fought in the battle and to honor the soldier. The monument allows tourists to climb about 350-feet into the air to get a beautiful view of Lake Erie, as well as to learn more information about Perry and the war.

15. Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument

Found in Cleveland, this memorial lists all 9,000 Cuyahoga soldiers who fought during the Civil War. What makes this landmark stand out more, though, and attract many tourists, is the fact that this monument is supposedly the only statue to feature Abraham Lincoln holding a weapon.

16. Toledo Art Museum

If you're into art, you could always visit the Toledo Museum of Art which features over 30,000 pieces of artwork. If Toledo is a bit too far, other free art museums in Ohio include Cleveland, Cincinnati, and the Kennedy Museum of Art in Athens.

17. Mohican State Parks

If you prefer site-seeing and hiking, Mohican is perfect for you. The state park hosts a number of trails open for hiking and many sites to visit, such as Landoll's castle, the covered bridge, and the gorge overlook, among many others. A suggested substitute if you're not able to visit Mohican is Hocking Hills.