16 Unconventional Movies To Watch This Valentine's Day

Isn't the Notebook a bit overdone?

68

Valentine's Day has never been a huge deal for me. Actually, I've never been in a relationship for the holiday so it's not like being single for the event this year is much of a change. However, there is still a twang of sadness that accompanies being alone on February 14th. I blame the dozens of boxes of chocolate lining the aisles in CVS and the overload of pink and red everything.

The pressure that accompanies Valentine's Day is strange. Even those who are happy being on their own somehow feel "less than". That's why you should remember that this holiday of love includes loving yourself as well. Who says you can't be your own valentine? So grab a box of chocolate, pour yourself a glass of wine and settle down with these movies that will make you feel empowered by your relationship status.

Movies about independence

1. Under the Tuscan Sun

What do you do when you find out your husband is cheating on you? You move to Italy naturally. This film features not only beautiful scenery but also the key to finding yourself. Plus this movie gets extra brownie points for featuring Sandra Oh.

2. How To Be Single

While this movie may be flawed for certain, it doesn't make me love it any less. This movie is great if you are stuck in a cycle of bad relationships and you're wondering how to get out. (spoiler alert: it has to do with loving yourself first)

Movies about friendship

3. Thelma and Louise

Two best friends on the run from the law. What more could you want?

(TW for rape and violence)

4. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Although this movie does include many romantic relationships, the strongest relationship is friendship. The book will always be better, but the movie has Blake Lively before she was swimming with sharks

5. Toy Story

The movie's theme song is literally called "You've Got a Friend In Me". One of Pixar's finest, you can't go wrong with this animated classic. And there are two sequels for when you finish this one! Buzz and Woody's friendship is forever (even if their batteries won't last that long).

6. Miss You Already

You'll want a box of tissues for this one. How is friendship affected by illness? You'll find out in this British rom-com. I'm serious about the tissues though.

7. The Intern

Friendship doesn't know age. And apparently, neither does Anne Hathaway because she is looking as great as ever (so is DeNiro, to be honest). This film is about two unlikely friends who find they have more in common than they thought. The underlying theme is that women shouldn't have to choose between work and family and that is pretty kick ass too.

Movies about family

8. Southpaw

How can a father find himself and be there for his daughter after a tragedy? This is another movie you're going to want tissues for. To be honest, it took me two tries to get through this one, but I was glad that I did. (TW: extreme violence)

9. Lilo and Stitch

Ohana means family. Assuming that you've already seen this Disney classic before, Valentine's Day is the perfect time to watch it again because it proves that all we really need is family. And that family comes in all shapes, sizes, and yes, species.

10. Mrs. Doubtfire

This movie shows just how far a father is willing to go for his family. Robin Williams at his best, this movie is heartwarming and hilarious for everyone.

About moving on

11. The Other Woman

What do you do when you discover your husband is cheating with not just one, but two women? You join forces with them of course. This movie about some sweet sweet revenge is funny and ridiculous and just what you need this V-day.

12. John Tucker Must Die

Another movie about getting revenge, this one is pretty unrealistic but very entertaining. Grab your girlfriends and some popcorn and enjoy this mindless flick.

13. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Guy loses girl. Guy follows girl to Hawaii. Throw in the fact that this movie stars Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Russell Brand and you have yourself a hilarious flick. You'll be sure to laugh at this one.

About unconventional love

14. Man Up

This witty British-French film follows to people who end up on the wrong date. But does it end up being the right one after all? Guess you'll have to watch it to find out.

15. The Way He Looks

This movie has it all. This Brazilian love story shows that love isn't always what it looks like. Especially when the main character is blind. If you don't speak Portuguese then you'll have to get used to the subtitles but I promise it is worth it.

About saving the galaxy

16. Star Wars

Can't get more badass than Princess Leia. A classic.