16 Movie Quotes To Live By And Learn From

Sometimes fiction tells us even more than reality can.

851

I don’t know about anybody else, but movies have always provided me with some of the most inspiring advice. Sure, the people who say and do these things are fictional, and movies usually always have a way of resolving themselves, but it’s hard not to live by some of the wise words that our favorite characters have given us. It’s amazing how such simple messages and words can be conveyed in a movie. They can come from a middle aged man all the way to an animated bear. Here are some great ones.

“So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.” -Charlie, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

Just a reminder that no matter how or where we grow up, we ultimately choose what to do with our lives and need to make our own destiny.

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” -Winnie the Pooh

We often underestimate ourselves and tend to reach for what is attainable as opposed to what we want. Winnie the Pooh obviously knows we are capable of much more than we think.

“Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” -Patrick Verona, "10 Things I Hate About You"

These words from Health Ledger tell us to push everyone aside and ignore the negativity. We deserve to go for whatever we want.

"We walk away from our dreams afraid we may fail, or worse yet, afraid we may succeed." -Forrester, "Finding Forrester"

New things can sometimes scare us, which is why even success, or thinking about what comes after we succeed, can be scary as well. We just need to remember that hard work equals success, which means anything after that can only be positive.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” -The Fox, "The Little Prince"

This came from a CHILDREN’S BOOK and the movie features the same quote. Can you believe that? One of the most powerful lessons came from something as simple as that. This quote reminds us what is really important.

"You know how everyone's always saying seize the moment? I don't know, I'm kinda thinking it's the other way around. You know, like the moment seizes us." -Nicole, "Boyhood"

Sometimes all we need to do it take everything in and enjoy everything around us.

"This is my age! I'm in the prime of my youth, and I'll only be young once! -Teddy Duchamp, "Stand by Me"

Being too serious is overrated, especially at this age. We have our whole lives as adults to figure everything out. That’s not to say we should not have goals and work hard. It just means this is the greatest time of our lives so we might as well take advantage of it.

"Then if this is your dream, you must do it." -Annie Allix, "The Walk"

Often times we think about whether we should go for something or not. We need to start gaining the mentality that if we have a goal and we want to reach it, then we just need to stop overthinking and just do it.

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it." -Benjamin Mee, "We Bought a Zoo"

This is one of my favorite movie quotes of all time. A lot of times we think about the what if’s and whether or not this "courage" he is talking about ends well. If we try, we will never have to regret NOT going for it and that is certainly something great.

“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” -Miles Halter, "Looking for Alaska"

OK, this is from a book but the movie adaptation is coming out in the next couple years and I am positive this will be in it. Although this is a more serious type of lesson, it is essential to those who are grieving from whatever situation they may find themselves in. We need to learn that forgiveness will ultimately ease the pain and allow us to move on.

"The best thing about now, is that there's another one tomorrow.” -Sutter Keeley, "The Spectacular Now"

You don’t have to rush life and think that in one moment you have to do everything and anything. This “now” that Sutter is talking about happens every day, so take advantage of every one of them.

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." -Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"

All this says is to never give up hope. The movie obviously proves that, as long as you have hope, you will have something to strive for.

“Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see.” -The Conductor, "The Polar Express"

This goes along with the lesson we learned from "The Little Prince". It’s a quote that doesn’t need any explaining because I’m sure we all know and feel exactly what the Conductor is talking about.

“Around here however, we don’t look backward for very long. We keep moving forward.” -Walt Disney, "Meet the Robinsons"

This quote was displayed at the end of "Meet the Robinsons" and it comes from Walt Disney. It means to let the past be the past. All we can do is look ahead from there and take what we have learned and use it as we move forward.

“If you can take it, you can make it.” -Pete, Unbroken

What we can overcome, only proves what we are capable of. If we can get through it then we can succeed.

“Enjoy it. Because it’s happening” -Charlie, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower"

Don’t ask questions. Don’t wonder why it is happening. Just enjoy that it is happening.