16 Joys From 2016

16 Joys From 2016

Things to be thankful for from this year.

31
16 Joys From 2016
Bekka Mongeau

The year of 2016 has been an emotional roller coaster, and sometimes it is hard to see how any good can shine through. This list is a compilation of 16 joyful and intriguing events that occurred in this year. Hopefully you can find one that will make you smile, as well.

1. After 14 years, Stolen Van Gogh art pieces were recovered.

On September 30th, two of Vincent Van Gogh's stolen art pieces were recovered. They had been missing since December 7th, 2002, and had a combined value of about $100 million dollars. You can view "Seascape at Scheveningen" and "Congregation Leaving the Reformed Church in Nuenen" via the links, or read the whole story here.

2. Japanese students hatch a chicken outside of its egg.

These Japanese students demonstrated the first successful attempts to help a chicken develop outside of its shell. The students -- from Chiba, Japan -- have discovered new incubation styles for chicken eggs that could potentially lead to other advanced science.

3. Pandas are no longer endangered.

That's right, giant pandas are no longer an endangered species! While the species is still considered "vulnerable" on the endangered species label, it has showed how much we can help grow populations in the animal kingdom.

4. More Harry Potter material has been released to the world.

The "Harry Potter" universe isn't finished yet! For those of us that are still waiting for our Hogwarts letter, you may have heard the good news about all the additions to the Potter universe that J.K. Rowling has given us. We are gifted with a new play and book, as well as new movies. Yes, that's right, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is set to be a five-series franchise for all us Potterheads to indulge in.

5. A new "Star Wars" movie was released 39 years after the original movie aired.

Many have awaited a revival of the "Star Wars" films, and J.J. Abrams didn't disappoint with "Star Wars: The Force Awakens." The hints of nostalgia and the familiar faces of the original cast created a powerful story that fit into the new plot spectacularly.

6. A Zinnia flower was grown in space for the first time.

It has once again been proven possible for life to grow in space. While aboard the International Space Station, astronaut Scott Kelly showed images of the zinnia.

7. Leonardo DiCaprio finally won his Oscar.

If you are anything like me, you have waited for Leo to get his Oscar since "Titanic" was released in 1997. We have seen him battle dreamscapes, pine for Daisy Buchanan, and even play a money-crazed wall street employee. Finally, for his role in "The Revenant," he won his first Oscar.

8. A 14-year-old refused $30 million for his invention.

Taylor Rosenthal created a first-aid vending machine and rather than taking a buy-out of $30 million, he decided to continue being the CEO of his company to better make his invention accessible to the public.

9. India planted 50 million trees in a day.

In early July, thousands in Allahabad, India, planted 50 million trees within 24 hours to spread awareness for climate change. With the help of 800,000 volunteers, they were able to break a world record and help nurture the planet.

10. "Stranger Things" aired.

"Stranger Things" was the hit Netflix Original Series that mashed classic 80s films and science fiction. If you haven't seen it already, you can check out the trailer here.

11. Ramsey Bolton died in "Game of Thrones."

I know most of these have been pretty uplifting, but if you've seen "Game of Thrones," you know how horrible this character was. On the same scale (worse, in some cases) than Joffrey, Ramsey Bolton was the new main antagonist of the show. His character was vile and deeply disturbed and his death was the perfect justice that could have been given to him.

12. Pokemon Go + Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Pokemon has become a huge phenomenon during 2016 and rightly so. Pokemon Go takes all of our childhood fantasies of being a Pokemon trainer and brings them into reality using modern technology. Not to mention that new games will be hitting the market soon.

13. A 16-year hunger strike ends in an activist running for office.

Irom Sharmila began fasting in 2000 to raise awareness for problems within her community and government. This year, she broke that fast with a lick of honey and a promise to make a difference by going into politics to help change the issues that began her fast.

14. An Earth-like planet was discovered.

In August, it was announced that an Earth-like planet was discovered orbiting around the star "Proxima Centauri." It is the closest planet similar to ours in the galaxy and might be considered for future habitation.

15. Women of color thrived in Rio Olympics.

African-American women have a mark on history, especially during the 2016 Olympics in Rio, Brazil. Here is Allyson Felix, who is now the most decorated woman in track and field history. You can find more detailed examples of women of color Olympic athletics here.

16. The first male face of makeup brand Cover Girl was announced.

James Charles is breaking gender normatives through his professional makeup applications. The image above can be found on his Instagram page and details his new position as a Covergirl representative. He is a 17-year-old aspiring makeup artist, and with the backing of one of the largest makeup lines, it looks like he is almost there.

Leave a comment down below if any of these brought a smile down below or if you found them thought-provoking. Also, leave me a comment letting me know what you are thankful for from this past year.