16 Books And Book Series Everyone Should Read In 2018

Time to take a break from Netflix and open a good book.

I love to read, but it’s very hard to read for pleasure during the school year. So, I save all of my reading for breaks and summer vacation. But, even then, I find it hard to sit down and read. However, I think 2018 will be my year for reading. I plan on reading as much as I can. And most of the following books are on my “To Read” list. Some of the books are my absolute favorites that I’ll never get tired of, no matter how many times I read them.

1. The Hunger Games Trilogy

Whenever anyone asks me my favorite book, I say this trilogy. It was the first big movie franchise I got into, and I still love these books, and movies, so much. This book has it all: strong female lead, love triangle, dystopian future, unnecessary deaths *cough* Finnick Odair *cough*, a riveting plot, etc. And the best part is that there are three books, and each one has different emotional twists and page-turning action. The books are just so good, and I recommend them to everyone.

2. Divergent Series

This is my second favorite book series. These books have similar traits to "The Hunger Games" but they’re still pretty different. The main character in these books has a big secret and if the wrong person finds out, she will be killed. Good thing she has a very protective boyfriend and friends who have her back no matter what. The third book has an awful twist, and the third movie is nothing like the book, but it’s fine. There is also an unofficial fourth book that is written in the boyfriend’s point of view that is also a really good read.

3. The 100 Series

These books inspired the TV show on the CW. Now, the show is nothing like the books. And I mean nothing. The books are so, so much better. (The show is really good, too. It’s actually my favorite show. But it’s nothing like the books.) The books focus on four different characters, and the entire population lives in space. But the government sends 100 delinquents down to Earth to cultivate it 97 years after a nuclear apocalypse. These kids are then forced to find a way to survive on their own on a foreign land. It’s just a really interesting and fantastic series.

4. Reboot Duology

These two books are about making the perfect soldiers. Once a human dies, it is rebooted. The longer it takes to reboot, the less human they are. The main character rebooted 157 minutes after she died, while her love interest rebooted only 22 minutes after he died. She is barely human, while he’s too human. But once they’ve had enough and escape their compound, war breaks out. All the reboots versus the humans. I couldn’t put these books down. I had to keep reading to see what happened. It was fast-paced and action-packed.

5. The Maze Runner Series

Now, I’ve only read the first book in this series, and I own all four books, I plan on finishing this series one day. The first book was very good, and I found it very interesting. And I watched the first and second movies, so I have an idea of what happens, but I still want to read the books for myself. A group of guys are trapped in a maze, and every day they send runners out into it to find a way out. Once the main character is thrown into the Glade, everything changes. There are a ton of twists and surprises, so it really keeps you on your toes.

6. Thirteen Reasons Why

With Netflix making this book into a series, it became very popular very fast. When it came out, everyone was watching this show. As having the read before, I thought that the casting was perfect, and the show followed the book really well. The book obviously went into more detail about a lot of things, but the show was still amazing. A lot of my friends who watched it didn’t know it was a book before, so if you liked the show, I suggest you read the book.

7. Everything, Everything

This book is literally amazing. I read it in less than twelve hours. The book is told through pictures, journal entries, text messages, doctor charts, and so many more drawings. It makes the book a quick read. The main character has a sickness that forces her to stay in her house at all times, but when a cute boy moves in next door, she’ll do anything to make herself seem normal. Even if it means going outside and risking her life just to be with him. The movie for this book is just as amazing as the book. It’s a light-hearted teenage love story.

8. The Fault In Our Stars

This is the only John Green book I’ve read and this one is amazing. This book is a tragic love story. The main character has thyroid cancer. She has a set routine: take prescription after prescription, read the same book over and over, watch the same show over and over, etc. She goes to support group and meets a charming boy who is cancer free, and he changes her world. He convinces her to try things she didn’t think she was capable of, and travel to places she only dreamed of. There’s tragedy, love, and bravery. It has it all. The movie is an emotional rollercoaster, so you better have a box of tissues handy.

9. Fangirl

It’s been a couple years since I’ve read this one, but it’s a great coming-of-age story. It follows a girl starting her freshman year of college. She writes fanfiction about her favorite book, and tries to keep it a secret from her roommate and friends. But when her roommate’s friend finds out, everything changes for her. But he doesn’t judge her, he actually likes the story and a new relationship forms. It’s funny and fresh and sweet. The reader takes the first steps with the character and it feels like you’re there with her.

10. Eleanor & Park

It’s been a long time with this book, too. I remember that the two main characters hated each other in the beginning, and end up falling in love by the end. The book then follows their relationship. I don’t think their parents approved of them dating. One of them needed to get away from everything, and the ending was abrupt and sucked. I really loved the book when I read it, and I think it’s time for me to read it again.

11. Twilight Series

I haven’t read this series yet, but I’ve watched all five movies at least four times. I absolutely love the movies, so the books must be even better. I own all four books, too, it’s just about sitting down to read all of them. People like to make fun of the Bella and Edward vs. Jacob love triangle, but I think it makes sense and I can appreciate it. I think that it’s interesting to learn about how these characters perceive vampires and werewolves. There are a lot of questions I have about the movies, which will probably be answered by the books, once I get around to reading them.

12. Harry Potter Series

I haven’t read any of these books, nor watched the movies. I tried reading the books years ago, so I’m due to try to read them again. Most people I’ve met have loved all things Harry Potter, and are surprised when I told them I haven’t read of watched them. I want to give this series another try, I just need to wait until summer so that I can give it the time this series requires.

13. Nerve

If this book is anything like the movie, I can’t wait to read it. This movie is definitely in my top five. It’s about teenagers all around the world playing a game like Truth or Dare, just without the truths. And as the game progresses, the dares get harder and more dangerous. The players are paid to play, while the viewers pay to watch. This movie had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I’m looking forward to reading this book!

14. The Mortal Instruments Series

I haven’t read these books, or watched the single movie made, but I watch the TV show. I don’t know accurate the show is, but I love the show. It’s very action-packed and has a lot of up-and-down relationships. And based on my love for the show, I want to read the books. There are a lot of things that I don’t know about the show that would probably be helpful to know. These books involve magic, spells, vampires, and other things like that.

15. Percy Jackson Series

I’ve been in the process of reading this series for nearly seven

years. I read the first few books back-to-back and have taken very lengthy breaks in between the rest of the series. I really love mythology, which is the main concept of these books, so I’ve greatly enjoyed the books I have read to completion. And at this point, I mind as well start over. The main character is a demigod that causes a lot of trouble, and is sent away to camp. He sneaks away to complete missions with his two friends and saves a lot of people, but also continues to get in trouble. It’s fun to read these because you learn about mythology and it still has a fictitious plot.

16. All The Bright Places

This is a modern novel that focuses on a suicidal boy and a popular girl. As you read the book, you realize that he has more issues than just that and likes to change his personality, and she has dealt with tragedy and hates the people she hangs out with. These two characters are literal opposites, but everyone knows that opposites attract.

Books are one of the best things in the world. They let you leave reality for a couple hours and enter a totally different world. Lucky for you, most of these books are about completely different things that take place in a variety of worlds. How could anyone get bored? There are plenty of books out there!