15 Ways To Stay Sane In College

15 Ways To Stay Sane In College

College is crazy enough, keep yourself sane.

16
15 Ways To Stay Sane In College
Alexis Day

1) Actually sleep

No, a two hour nap in the library while studying for a class does not count. Sleep in a bed. The kind of sleep that you get when you willingly close your eyes and rest, not a caffeine crash.

2) Don’t wear heels to class

I don’t care how cute the heels are, how much you saved on them, or how well they go with your outfit. Don’t do it. Your feet will thank you later. Especially if your campus walk ways are paved in brick or cobblestone. You will twist your ankle, I promise.

3) Charge your electronics at night

I can’t tell you how often I’m in the middle of doing work and my laptop dies on me. Everyone knows that outlets are few and far between on campus. Charge your electronics at night so your laptop doesn’t die while you’re doing work and your phone is fully charged in order to entertain you in your boring classes.

4) Invest in a reusable water bottle

It doesn’t have to break the bank, but you won’t want to spend half of your money on water bottles throughout the day. Most campus’ even have free filtered water fountains that you can refill your bottle on the way to class.

5) Don’t buy the textbooks prior to the start of class

I’ve made this mistake many a semester and I live to regret it every time. Most professors only list textbooks as “required” because their department head will read their syllabus. Wait until the first week of classes to see if you really need to drop the money for the textbook or if it is just a façade. If your professor assigns reading after the first class and you haven’t purchased the book, you can find the first chapters of most textbooks online while you wait for your books to arrive.

6) Make at least on friend in each class

You don’t have to be thick as thieves but at least get someone’s number. Inevitably, at least once throughout the semester, you will either miss a class or forget what a homework assignment was and you will need a contact. Some professors have forum sections on their online class section, but let’s face it, your chances are slim that anyone will tell you what the homework is at 11:30 pm when it is due at midnight.

7) Set alarms on your phone

Not just “wake up” alarms, things like “schedule classes” or “do your assignment” and don’t dismiss the alarm until the task is accomplished. Keep snoozing the notification in 10 minute increments. Yes, to do lists are effective, but the constant ringing in your bag will motivate you to accomplish your tasks and not allow you to procrastinate.

8­) Find a local hang out

You won’t want to sit in your dorm all day when you aren’t in class. Find a spot on campus that you feel comfortable in and can spend your time between lectures. I found a hole in the wall coffee shop that I sit in and do homework. I absolutely love the staff and the frequent customers. It has a homey feel to it that is very comforting on the hard days of life.

9) Walk away from it

Whether it is an essay, physics homework or a personal situation - if it is stressing you out - walk away from it for a while. Save your document and go get a coffee at the shop down the street. Or tell the individuals that are causing you tension that you are going to disconnect from your technology or that you can’t make plans that weekend. Take a break from whatever is upsetting you. If you keep doing what you’re doing the stress will only get worse. Make long term changes if necessary.

10) Have something to look forward to

This doesn’t have to be a big event like a party. It could be as simple as after your lecture you get to go back to your dorm and take a nap. Have something that will get your through the day and make you happy.

11) Keep a planner

The biggest lie you tell yourself is that you will remember something. You won’t. Your brain will be going in so many different directions that things will start falling through the cracks. Write everything down with times and dates of events and when assignments are due. Also see above tip of setting alarms.

12) REMEMBER: You DO NOT equal your grades

You are a person, you are not your GPA. Yes, GPAs are important, but remember that your worth is higher than any numerical value you could ever receive on your transcript.

13­) If you need a mental health day, TAKE ONE

If you are feeling overwhelmed or have some personal issues going on, it is okay to take a day off from classes. I’m not saying skip classes every Wednesday, but if once or twice a semester you are feeling the pressure, take a day off.

14) Do at least one thing that makes you happy everyday

Read a good book. Visit a pet store. Take a walk around campus. Whatever it is, do something each day that brings your some kind of joy.

15) Organize, Organize, Organize

Your life is pretty hectic in college. Save yourself the headache and organize your spaces. Keep your desk and bag neat. Keep different folders on your desktop for each class you have each semester and keep a PDF of the syllabus and your assignments in the corresponding folders. The more organized you feel, the less you will stress over the small things when school gets intense.