15 Things To Be Extra Happy About This December
Holidays

Happy holidays all! Have a good Winter break, and remember to stay safe and warm.

53

The winter months, December especially is a stressful time for many. Finals are right around the corner, there are deadlines to meet, and gifts still to be bought, so I thought it important that we all be given a reminder of some good things we can give thanks to this month!

1. Family.

Whether they're blood relatives or your chosen family, there's no better time of the year to be with the ones you love. On the couch watching Netflix, ice skating in the city, or finding the perfect Christmas tree- quality time can be found anywhere!

2. Pets.

The one thing you can always look forward to when coming home is being able to cuddle your dog again (or your cat, if they let you). Nothing better to keep you warm or jolly during the Winter than walking, snuggling balls of fluff.

3. No Class For Three Weeks!

Unlike in high school, you won't have homework over break because classes will already be out for the quarter! This means you have whatever free time available to lie on the couch, drinking hot cocoa and binge-watching Christmas movies with a dog on your lap.

4. Still Being Able To Watch "Friends."

It doesn't matter how many times you've seen it, or if you've seen it at all, but Friends is apart of all of us in one way or another. Netflix scared even its most loyal watchers a couple days ago announcing that the beloved, decade-old show would no longer be streaming. But have no fear- they came out and rebuked the statement not long after, having made an 80 million dollar deal to keep the show on until at least the end of 2019. Looks like they won't be on a break anytime soon!

5. Christmas Lights.

If there's anything that should bring you happiness during the holidays, it's knowing that everywhere you look, there will be light! Not to mention, colorful ones, sometimes in the shape of cookies and candy. There are light shows galore this time of year, so see one if you can! If not, just take a drive down your neighborhood. Seriously, there are lights everywhere.

6. Christmas Music.

If you're anything like me, you start listening to Christmas music way before it's time to, sometime around mid-October, usually. I've actually gotten reprimanded for this, but it doesn't phase me. Nothing puts me in the Christmas spirit like the voices of Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, or Judy Garland.

7. Hot Drinks.

Whatever your thing, be it coffee, tea, or hot cocoa, it's nicest when it's cold outside! Even better if you're drinking it in a Rudolph mug, and are wearing fuzzy socks.

8. Fuzzy Socks, Blankets, Coats, etc.

The necessities. You can't survive the cold without bundling up, so if you haven't already, be sure to invest in a warm jacket and a couple pairs of Christmas-themed fuzzy socks.

9. Food Delivery.

Let's be honest, sometimes you're hungry and just can't be bothered to go out or get up and make something yourself. That's why food delivery, whether it's Uber Eats, GrubHub, or Postmate, is an absolute godsend. A couple clicks of a button and you're set (unfortunately, you might still have to get up from your couch).

10. Naps and Early Nights/Late Mornings.

There's nothing better than a bed. At least nothing I can think of. Particularly when you're sharing it with a pet. Sleep is essential to both physical and mental health, so make sure you're getting a decent amount over the break (and, if you can, always).

11. Vitamins and/or Meds.

There of many of us that need a little help to stay in relatively good spirits during the year, and there's no shame in that! It's especially important now, as it gets colder and darker, to keep up with your doses! If you're not taking it already, consider getting yourself some Vitamin D. This is for everyone, because we live in Washington, where it's cold, dark, and wet ALL year-round.

12. Public Transportation.

If you don't have a car or a friend with a car on call, there's no need to worry. There's a bus or train en route to your destination- near or far. Kick back, put your headphones in, and enjoy the ride. And, if you like people-watching, there's certainly plenty of opportunity for that.

13. Student Discounts.

I've just recently discovered the best thing about being a college student, and that's the discounts. They're everywhere! Whether you're buying online, or at a local store, most people understand the financial plight of the average college student and will offer money off on just about everything you could want or need. On top of holiday sales, you can buy this year's gifts without completely draining your wallet (maybe).

14. Free Stuff.

Another perk of being a college student: there's free stuff available to you everywhere. Even if it's the little things- like a lanyard, carabiner, or tote bag- you didn't spend a dime on it! Sometimes local grocery stores will even have bins of free food they're trying to get off the shelves, so always keep your eyes peeled!

15. Christmas.

The long-awaited day. There's nothing like it. Kids across the country (and farther) stay up all night waiting for morning. You stay in your pajamas all day, eat loads, open presents, watch movies, and aren't obligated to do anything else, so there's nothing to feel guilty about. Even if you don't celebrate the holiday, it serves as a break from school and work. Make it count!