15 Things You Think When Hiking

15 Things You Think When Hiking

Miley was wrong, it's not the climb.

569
15 Things You Think When Hiking

This past weekend, my boyfriend took me on one of the most challenging hikes in Washington, and dear Lord I was not ready. I mean, sure, I’ve been on a handful of hikes before (i.e. two in Georgia where all of the hikes are described as easy to moderate on the trail websites), but nothing could have prepared me for those eight excruciating miles plus the couple hundred feet I actually had to climb to get to the top of mountain.

1. When you first start walking on to the trailhead.

Alright, mountain. Let’s go. I can do this.

2. When you’re ten minutes into the hike.

Crap. No. I can’t do this. Why did I think I could do this?

3. When you realize you’re actually hiking up a mountain.

Why is this trail nothing but going up? Why are there so many rocks? Why are there so many tree roots everywhere? Why does nature hate me?

4. When your heart is beating too fast and you’re starting to feel dehydrated.

Are we almost up yet? I think I’m going to die.

5. When you see the mile post that tells you that you’re not even halfway up.

Yup. I’m going to die.

6. When your boyfriend asks you to pick up the pace.

Nah. Nope. No.

7. When you finally get a water and snack break.

Oh my God, I’ve never tasted anything so wonderful in my life.

8. When you get to the top and he says you still have climb up because you’re not really at the top yet.

Is this really worth it? Do I really need to go to the highest point of the mountain? I mean, the view’s pretty amazing from up here.

9. When you actually start climbing.

This isn’t too bad. I’m kind of a badass. I bet my butt is going to look so good after this hike.

10. When you finally make it to the top.

Wow. I’m speechless. Wow.

11. When he says it’s time to hike down.

Okay, this should be easy. I can do this.

12. When you’re running down the mountain.

Oh yeah, I’m an Amazonian queen. This feels awesome.

13. When you twist your ankle because you’re actually really uncoordinated.

Nature hates me. I’m never leaving this mountain. I think I’m just going to sit down right here and die.

14. When you finally make it back to the car.

Never going hiking again, no sir, nature ain’t that beautiful. Sitting. Sitting is beautiful.

15. When you look at the pictures from the top again.

Okay, that view was definitely worth it. Can we go hiking?