15 Things People That Go To Women's Colleges Are Tired of Hearing

Like really tired of hearing.

127
Affinity Magazine

If someone had told me while I was in high school that I would end up at a women's college, I would have laughed in their face. Even throughout the application process, I was still dead set on attending a coed college. It wasn't until I toured my current college that I changed my mind. It has turned out to be one the most rewarding experiences of my life. While I am happy with where I am, many people don't understand why I made the choice I did, and I constantly get questions about what it's like being at a women's college. While some questions are valid, others are just annoying and sometimes offensive. Here are fifteen things people that go to women's colleges are tired of hearing.

1. "So, there are only girls at your school?"

Actually, my school is a women centered college, which means that actually not just women go here...people of all gender identities can attend.

2. "How boring; you can't have any fun with only girls."

You know, actually, it's super easy to have fun...with or without men, I have a great time at school.

3. "Where is the men's room?"

Um, I think there is one in the next building over, down the dark hallway, around the corner, and down the stairs. Maybe. I haven't seen it since orientation, to be honest.

4. "It must be so drama filled."

It's really not. Of course, no place can be free of drama completely but it's definitely not "drama filled".

5. "Is it like reverse-sexism to go there?"

No. Um, I...I just...By definition, this isn't a thing...

6. "But...lesbians!"

I...yes? Okay? What about them?

7. "So, are you a lesbian?

No, I am not. But I do know some and they're pretty great!

8. "Are you afraid will you become a lesbian?"

Okay, literally, good bye. I'm not even going to answer this question. Ugh. This comment is so annoying, ignorant, and offensive. You don't become a lesbian. It's not a choice. Educate yourself.

9. "So you're afraid of men? That's why you went to an all girls school?"

No... not really. I don't fear men. I fear what male privilege allows men to get away with. Also, to be clear: I went to a women centered college for so many reasons, a fear of men wasn't one of those reasons.

10. "...But you do hate men though, right?"

No, we just hate the patriarchal structure of society. There is a difference.

11. "You're just a bunch of over-sensitive feminazis."

First, the term feminazi is so problematic for so many reasons. Please don't use it. Second, I'm sorry that we care about being respectful of others, including women and other minorities that are often attacked. Actually, wait...I'm not actually sorry at all.

12. "But how will you find a husband?"

OMG!! You're so right! Oh, wait...Actually, no. Just no.

13. "Um, are men are like banned from campus?"

Um, no... This is college, not prison. You can bring whoever you want on campus....it's 2017. No one really cares.

14. "It must be like a never ending fun slumber party every single day!"

If you consider being stressed, emotional breakdowns, no sleep, tears, chapters and chapters of reading, and hours of homework every single day a fun, never ending slumber party then yes, I guess it is. We work just as hard as anyone else.

15. "I just feel like you going there has changed you a lot...and I'm not sure if I like that."

I mean, I feel like that's the point of college. If you're leaving college the same person you were when you came in, I think that's a more significant issue.