15 Things Only Those With Curly Hair Understand

From Hair Products Being Discontinued To The Frizz That Haunts Your Nightmares

14

Curly hair girls are a breed of their own. We have to deal with things no one else has to deal with. Frizziness to the extreme, broken combs caused by our thick mane, products that cost more than your rent and more. Although curls are beautiful to look at, they take a lot of work. Here are the top 15 things that every curly haired person knows to be true.

1. Conditioner is your best friend.

You go through two bottles of conditioner before you finish a bottle of shampoo (...if you even use shampoo).

2. You always have at least two hair ties on you at all times.

Breaking a hair tie when you desperately need it is something that haunts your nightmares.

3. If you have to borrow a hair tie, you laugh when someone hands you a thin one.

You know it's not going to hold back your hair, which weighs a ton. It's your last alternative and you'll take what you can get.

4. Once you put up your hair, it's up for the rest of the day.

Your curls are never the same after being tied up. There's a kink where the hair tie was and it just doesn't lay right. Hello, topknot!

5. You find a bobby pin in your hair even though you haven't used one in three days.

Good thing you were the only one to hear the clink of the bobby pin hitting the shower floor.

6. You have sculpted biceps from the rare occasions that you straighten your hair.

I'm guilty of stopping half way to watch an episode of "Friends." Count the day you straighten your curls as an arm day at the gym because it's a straight up workout.

7. The beautician is always shocked by how much hair you have.

You always here the same things. "You have so much hair" and "I wish I had your curls." If they only knew how much work it is.

8. Once you fall in love with a new curly product... it gets discontinued.

It's always the same thing. Buy a new product. Fall in love with said product. Said product gets discontinued. Wash, rinse, repeat.

9. When you travel, your hair products take up half of the suitcase.

If you're flying, you might as well buy your products at your final destination. There is no way you are meeting TSA's liquid requirement.

10. You are in a constant battle with frizz.

You have your good and your bad days but it's probably not a battle you'll ever win.

11. People always like to stretch out a curl and see it shrink back up.

It is pretty amazing how long your hair actually is. I know mine has a good two or three inches of shrinkage.

12. You have a routine for the order and how much of each product you apply to your hair.

The amount, consistence and order of your products makes your hair a science experiment every morning.

13. It takes half of the day for your hair to finally dry.

It takes a lot of planning to not walk out the door with wet hair. However, most of us have just accepted it and walk around until the afternoon with wet tresses. Don't even get me started on a blowdryer.

14.You don't own a brush.

Finger combing your hair is as close as you get to the idea of a brush.

15. Although you hated it when you were younger, you now rock your beautiful curls with confidence.

Every curly haired girl, myself included, dreamed of having straight hair so you try all of the trendy hairstyles. As we've become older, we have grown to love our curls because they make us unique. Rock your natural hair, because it makes you you!