15 Things I Learned From Fiona Gallagher

From Shameless

3588
Fiona

First off, I'd like to say that if you have not seen Shameless, then you are missing out. I'm currently binge watching it on Netflix and cannot get enough. Secondly, if you have seen it, then you know who Fiona Gallagher is. The epitome of a strong and independent woman who has literally dedicated her life to take care of her five siblings. Fiona is such a complex character and there is a little piece of her in all of us.

Here are the 15 things I've learned from Fiona Gallagher:

1. Jeans and t-shirts with no makeup and a messy ponytail is perfectly acceptable.

Because life didn't stop just because she wasn't dolled up. Plus, I don't think she had the time to do her make-up. Like, ever.

2. Don't give up on something you love.

It didn't matter how messed up and busy her life was, Fiona always ran. Given she was is the most selfless person I've ever watched on television, she always made time for her own personal pleasure and running was just that. It seemed almost like her escape from real life.

3. "Bad boys" aren't always the "right boys".

Let's face it, Steve/Jimmy and Fiona's relationship made me cringe. He dug himself into a hole that he couldn't get out of and almost brought Fiona with him. And let's not forget the fact that he chased her (and borderline stalked her) that when push came to shove, he ended up pushing her away. Like I said in number 2, she's selfless. Family is her top priority and I believe he expected for her to give that up for him. WRONG.

4. There's always money to be made.

I swear Fiona went through so many jobs. She did her thing though. She did exactly what she had to do to keep food on the table for her siblings. There is always work out there. It may not be the most glamorous job (Fiona shoveled poop. Human poop.) but you have to do what you have to do to take care of your business.

5. It's important to save money.

So, I'm about to start me a squirrel fund, like the Gallaghers. You need to save money to keep stuff running and in the case of an emergency. Fiona and her siblings constantly hustled.

6. Best friends are part of the family.

I absolutely admired Fiona's and Veronica's friendship. They were like sisters. They helped each other where they could and were consistently each other's back bones when things went south.

7. Sometimes, illegal is fun.

Okay, so honestly, I just had to throw this one in there because I'm sure 80% of what they did for fun was illegal.

8. It's okay to use your body.

So, this is kind of conflicting for some people. However, Fiona, as I've said so many times before, did what she had to do. Even if it meant showing a little cleavage.

9. Draw your lines and don't cross them.

Even though she didn't mind using her body for the hustle, she knew her boundaries. Like when she wouldn't blow the manager at the grocery store for the job. Instead, she blackmailed him. (This supports #7.)

10. Sleeping around is perfectly acceptable.

Don't slut shame. If it's not for you, then move on to #11.

11. We should all own a blindfold that says "F*ck off".

Simply because I want one.

12. Your parents' mistakes do not define you.

Despite the fact that Fiona's mother ran off (more than once) and her father was a raging alcoholic and addict, Fiona successfully raised five children and made ends meet without their help. She also didn't become them.

13. People leave.

Regardless of where you are in life, people will always leave. Sometimes it hurts more than others. But if Fiona can get over multiple people leaving her and letting her down, you can too.

14. It is perfectly okay to have sex anywhere you want.

Simply because I wish I was as bold as her. In front of a school? Really?

15. Family always comes first.

There is nothing Fiona wouldn't do for her siblings.