15 Things Every Greek Is Tired Of

15 Things Every Greek Is Tired Of

A response to "15 Things Every Non-Greek is Sick of"

128
15 Things Every Greek Is Tired Of
North Texas Daily

I made a decision long before I even rushed. I joined my sorority as a sophomore and wished I had joined earlier. I fell in love with Greek Life. I was non-Greek for an entire year. I have seen both sides of the situation.

Amber Lohnes wrote an article back in April about 15 things all non-greeks are sick of, so I decided to respond to it. I'm all about having your own opinion, making your own choices and all that jazz, but to speak on behalf of thousands of women of things you're "sick of" isn't the way to make friends. Maybe you're not looking for any more friends. Maybe you're so against Greek life you just don't care. I shouldn't have to defend my decision of joining a sorority every time someone who chose not to join puts it down. I am still independent. I still make my own choices and live my own values-- values that I happen to share with 100 other women.

So, while you're getting "sick of" hearing these things, this is what we're sick of hearing.

1) "I chose not to be in Greek life and I'm happy about it because why be a part of something so fake?"

I'm happy you made a decision for you and that you're happy, but please don't put down my sisters in the process. We are not fake. The only differences between you and me are Greek letters and decades of fraternal traditions.

2) "But you pay for your friends."

Well, actually, we're paying for the upkeep of our house, our formals, shirts, chapter dinners, office supplies, supplies for Homecoming, events, Dad's day, Mom's day and so much more. Our dues pay for a lot of the things we're getting out of joining an organization. It's no different than another student organization having dues. We just do a lot of things. Those things cost money. We don't pay for our friends. We're paying for an experience. As the saying goes, if I paid for my friends, I surely didn't pay enough.

3) *Handful of glitter blown into camera*

It's cute. Maybe a little overdone these days, but try to tell me that you haven't wanted to try taking a super cute picture doing the exact same thing.

4) "Why would I ever join Greek life?"

When we say you should join Greek life, I promise we're not pressuring you. You obviously have a choice, but we're just trying to show you what Greek life has done for us. We realize it's not for everyone. If someone thinks you'd be a great Kappa, don't take offense to that. Maybe Kappas are super involved and incredibly smart. How would that be insulting to be told you'd fit in there?

5) "It's so annoying hearing 'OMG Little!'"

Until you've had the chance to be a big sister, you'll never really understand the bond between a Big and a Little. I realize my littles have names. I love them dearly. They're some of my best friends who have been there for me through the ups and downs. I get excited to see her just the same way you're excited to see your best friend. If I want to shout little to get her attention, then let me. She'll respond and it makes her feel special and loved.

6.)"It's also annoying hearing 'OMG Big!'"

Refer to #5.

7) "Sisters by chance, friends by choice. Explain that to me?"

Unless you've been through recruitment, you don't really understand this. Choosing a chapter is a choice for both the chapter and the individual girl. The last night of recruitment is one that girls cherish for years because of how special they felt during this time. This is how they become sisters by chance. Friends by choice seems pretty obvious. You choose your friends, and I choose mine. While I may not get along 100% with everyone in my chapter, I would do anything for them. But I do have a set of really close friends that I CHOOSE to be friends with. Not because my letters told me to, but because we get along, laugh at the same things, sing songs at the top of our lungs and so much more.

8) "I joined my sorority looking for friends, but what I found were sisters." *Dramatic eye roll response*

Refer to #7.

9) *Letters everywhere.*

I'm proud to be a part of my organization. I hope you're proud to be a part of whatever organization you're in. My letters mean something to me that only my sisters know. I love my letters as much as my university, my friends and food.

10) "We don't haze." "Uh, huh, suuuurrrrreeee."

I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but my chapter DOES NOT haze. Zero tolerance for it. We don't even tell them they can't wear makeup. We have a dry pledge ship, even if they're of age, so they can focus on sisterhood and bonding. We encourage them to go to the library but never force them to. We ask that they wear their new member pins because it symbolizes everything they're working for. In fact, I was excited to wear mine. I would find excuses to wear it. Zero tolerance means Zero tolerance. We do not haze.

11) "Sorority squat!" *Rolls Eyes*

We only call it this because the internet called it that, probably by someone not even in Greek life. When I say it, I say it with a laugh and a slight sarcastic tone. I find it humorous. I don't even squat because at 5' 2", there's just no reason. All my friends are taller than me. That's 95% of the reason why people even do it.

12) "Sure you have Greek week where you all pretend to like each other (notice that key word pretend), but it's obvious how competitive you are to be the "better" sorority."

OK, couple of things here. 1. This isn't sisterhood, this would refer to Greek Unity, Pan. Love, etc. 2. Sisterhood is more than getting along with 100+ girls 100% of the time. Sisterhood is having the same values, standing up for each other and believing in the mission left behind by our founders. Sisterhood is answering a call at 3 a.m. to help a sister through a breakup. Sisterhood is deciding last minute to take a trip to the state fair. Sisterhood is being there for each other no matter, through hard times and through good times. 3. Greek unity and Pan. love is real. Greek week is a time to compete, but honestly, if you're in it to be the "better sorority" then you're in it for the wrong reasons. This time should be used to get closer to your sisters, meet other Greek members and have fun. Yeah, we all want to win and we're very competitive, but it's just not that serious.

13) "It's a Greek thing." "Honestly though I'd probably rather be anywhere else anyway."

We end up saying this because you probably don't care and we're saving you a conversation you won't listen to anyway. It's also very hard to explain some things to people who haven't lived through it. It's not meant to exclude you. That's like getting insulted when someone says, "that's an engineering student thing." Like I don't question that. I could try to understand, but I know it would be pointless. I'm not insulted by this, so why are you? If you're happy somewhere else, then good for you. I'm happy where I am, so we're both happy.

14) "OMG love you Big/Little!" "You guys just met an hour ago, how can you love each other already? Do you even know each other's names?"

Well, first off, l spent so much time getting to know my little. I welcomed her into my chapter with open arms. I fell in love with our friendship. I know her name because I took time to get to know her as a person. She wasn't just thrown at me, unwanted. We know each other. It's just as much of a friendship as a mentor-ship. You don't get bigs the second you walk through the door, so until you've been through the process, please chill.

15) "Ugh, I have *insert Greek life event here* tonight."

I just laugh at this one. We all complain because we're all suffering together. But honestly, a lot of the events they've thrown at us have helped me become a better human, make connections and, shocker, learn a few things.

Next time you think us Greeks are soooooo annoying or whatever, just think first. We are just like any other student organization. We are just like you. Greek life isn't a bad thing and the media only captures the bad things that a few individuals do. But you never see headlines like "Pi Phi's Volunteer at Local Elementary School Book Fair" or "Local Fraternity Raises Money for War Veterans." Your ideas of what we are and what we do are all judgments, preconceived from stereotypes.

Greek life was great for me. I love it, but I'm sick of defending it.