15 Southern Slang Terms You Need A Translator For

"Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit"

606
Instagram // The Rock Bottom Boys

Here in the south, we have our own unique way of getting our the point across, and for those who are not from the south... well you may just need a translator.

1. "Bless your heart"

Mostly used as an insult in a condensing tone, but occasionally it's used in a respectful, caring manner.

2. "Well law"

An expression used to show pretty much any emotion.

3. "Hold your horses"

Translated: stop what you're doing.

4. "How's ya momma and em?"

Translated: "How's your mother and the rest of your family doing?" Em' refers to the others associated with momma.

5. "Lollygag"

verb: to spend time aimlessly

6. "Burning daylight"

Translated: wasting time.

7. "There's a storm a brewin"

Translated: there's a storm coming our way.

8. "Fixinto"

Verb: you're about to do something, but you aren't doing it just quite yet.

9. "Over yonder"

Referers to any direction, which you aren't currently talking about.

10. "All get out"

He was as funny as all get out. It was as hot as all get out. "All get out" simply indicates the degree of something: really funny, extremely hot, etc.

11. "Too big for her britches"

Whoever is "too big for their britches," thinks too highly of themselves. This phrase is often accompanied by "high horse."

12. "Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit"

This one is used as an expression of surprise. It's translated to "wow, I'm really surprised."

13. "Skedaddle"

verb: depart quickly; flee

14. "Smack dab in the middle"

Translated: the very center of something.

15. "Well, I'll be"

An expression which can be used in almost any circumstance.