15 Songs Of Different Genres Everyone Needs To Listen To Right Now

These songs will change your life.

166
Unsplash

In the past year, I've started to listen to music that wasn't just One Direction. Don't get me wrong, One Direction created such teenage classics for awkward suburban youths, such as myself. These 15 songs are from everyone genre of music, such as pop, rap, r&b, soul and alternative. You can find classic artists like Lauryn Hill, Beyoncé and Amy Winehouse to new artists like Daniel Caesar, Brockhampton and Rex Orange County. There's a song for every mood if you're feeling sad listen to "Happiness" and if you're attempting to get in that right mood, "Doo-Wop (That Thing)" is absolutely perfect. These songs will open up your heart, mind and soul.

1. "Glitter" by Tyler, The Creator

This song radiates summer vibes. A time of warm weather, a stress-free life and waking up at 11:00 a.m. on a Tuesday and not worrying about school. Tyler, The Creator’s album “Flower Boy” is a perfect album to listen to during summer because it’s so lively and flows beautifully with each song.

2. "Still In Love" (Acoustic) by Thirdstory ft. Eryn Allen Kane

I’m still in shock of how I hadn’t discovered Thirdstory's music earlier. Their music soothes the soul on the most somber days. “Still In Love” has to be one my favorite songs of 2018 because with just a piano and their voices, they created a song that’s liquid gold.

3. "Love Is A Losing Game" by Amy Winehouse

“Love Is A Losing Game” is a realistic love song that focuses on the aspects of a relationship that’s not flowers and sunshine. Her enchanting voice breaks me apart as the song progresses and you can hear the true pain radiating through the speakers.

4. “You and Me” by Penny & The Quarters

I heard this song for the first time about a year ago in the movie “Blue Valentine” with Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. “You and Me” plays during a devastating scene where Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams characters are attempting to repair their dying marriage. While at a Lover’s Suite in a cheap hotel, slightly dimmed, they begin dancing to this song in the center of the room. The audience can see that their marriage has died in this specific scene as their sense of hope declines.

5. "Garden (Say It Like Dat)" by Sza

“Garden (Say It Like Dat) is one of the most underrated songs on her new album "Ctrl". With Sza’s unique voice and refreshing sound, it’s a song that’ll make you want to shamelessly dance around your room for hours.

6. “Lions, Tigers & Bears” by Jazmine Sullivan

This song is the pure soul and R&B flavor that will make you metaphorically “snatch your wig off.” Jazmine Sullivan’s voice is powerful, and I’m still perplexed on why it hasn't won a Grammy just yet.

7. "Lemonade" by Jeremy Passion

With just the ukulele and his voice, Jeremy Passion sings this beautiful love song you never want to skip on a playlist. His voice soothes your soul, making you just want to be in love.

8. “Herside Story” by Hare Squead

“Herside Story” is on my summer playlist and gives off summer vibes. Hare Squead created the song of my summer, that'll make you dance as it gets warmer in cold Minnesota.

9. "Waste" by Brockhampton

"Waste” is a slow jam different to their high-tempo rap music of Brockhampton. Bearface, the artist singing “Waste”, captivates the attention of the listeners with his melodic voice and electric guitar. This song deals with unrequited love that will bring back the emotions of your high school crush.

10. “Happiness” by Rex Orange County

This song begins with the piano and his voice, which slowly progresses into a delicate string orchestra accompanying him. The lyrics are honest and realistic coming from his heart that makes you smile on the darkest days.

11. “The Night We Met” by Lord Huron

The song takes you out of the real world for the duration of it and causes tears to weld up in your eyes. “The Night We Met” is the definition of the meme of “crying in the club” because I’m literally crying in the club.

12. "Earned It" by Bootstraps

This song is a cover of The Weeknd’s “Earned It” from “Fifty Shades of Grey”. Bootstraps, an American alternative rock band, puts an alternative twist on the slow love song and gives it a unique sound. Whenever I listen to this song, I feel like dropping everything in my life and backpacking across Europe with the money in my pocket and the clothes on my back.

13. "Die With You" by Beyoncé

Everything Beyoncé touches turns into gold, diamonds and the finest of things. “Die With You” is the most stripped back song Beyonce released where you hear her splendid vocals with just the piano. If you don’t at least shed a tear while listening to this song, then you’re lying.

14. “Doo-Wop (That Thing)” by Lauryn Hill

Lauryn Hill embodies '90s R&B and if you haven’t listened to her yet, stop reading this right now and just search up “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.” With one album to her name, Lauryn Hill is an R&B icon. “Doo-Wop (That Thing)” is one of my top five favorite songs of all-time, that emits the '90s “feel-good” vibe.

15. "Blessed" Daniel Caesar

Last, but not least, my favorite song of 2017. The first time I heard that song I was on the bus going to my summer job, sitting there and looking out the window. I held back tears in this bus full of people at 9:00 a.m. on a Tuesday morning. His voice is angelic and the lyrics are heart-filled, which will most likely be played at my wedding when I marry Harry Styles in ten years.