15 Signs You Don't Let God Control Your Life

Advice from one control-freak to another.

3030
Avery Owens

I am a control-freak. I admit it.

I like things to be done how I want and when I want.

I idolize people's opinions of me and allow them to drive my life.

I have a clear picture in my head of how I want my life to turn out, and there is no longer room for God's plan.

I try so hard to control every aspect of my life, from how I look to how people think of me, and this is a daily struggle for me.

This may be something you struggle with too, and here are 15 ways to recognize that you do.

1. When things don't work out the way you plan, you get angry.

2. You spend all your free time daydreaming about your future.

3. You prioritize what is written on your agenda over what you feel called to do.

4. You make up excuses for why certain commands of the Bible are not applicable to your life.

5. You only read the Bible or have a devotional so you can post a picture on social media.

6. When you pray, you only ask for things to go your way. You never ask for God's will to be done.

7. You spend more time choosing what to wear to church than you do preparing your heart for worship.

8. You make goals that center and revolve around success and fortune.

9. Your phone is the first and last thing that has your attention during the day.

10. You set an alarm in the morning with enough time to get ready for work/school, and not enough time to talk to God.

11. You chase after boys and rely on your own charm to find "the one," and you don't trust that God will lead you to him.

12. You try to earn God's grace through religious tasks, such as attending church or reading your Bible. You don't let allow His work on the cross to be enough for you.

13. You stress over upcoming tests and quizzes, instead of trusting in God's provision.

14. You are serving at summer camp to hang out with your friends, not to fall more in love with your Savior.

15. You have forgotten what a life surrendered to Christ looks like.

The best news ever is that God loves us despite our controlling nature.

His greatest wish is for us to lay down our lives and our plans.

He adores us, and He wants us to find rest in His grace.

His plans are better than ours, and He knows how to make us happier than we can ever imagine.

If control is something you struggle with, I encourage you to hand it over to Jesus and let Him blow you away with His love.

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." — Romans 8:28
"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." — Proverbs 19:21
"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps."
— Proverbs 16:9