15 Signs You're An Adult Now

15 Signs You're An Adult Now

Mama and Daddy aren't going to be there forever.

113
15 Signs You're An Adult Now
Youtube

As the years go by, one thing is for certain: We're getting older. Our parents regret the days that all too soon turn into months then to years. They know that we'll reach an age where we become more independent and while we'd always need them—those late night talks, someone to rant about our day to, or just someone to tell us it's going to be okay and we'll get through the semester without curling up in a ball and never coming out again—eventually, we'll have to fend for ourselves as adults.

Here are 15 signs we're no longer our parents' little girls or baby boys.

1. No more packed lunches for school.

Don't you wish someone was there to tell you, "Hey! Don't forget your lunch!"? Now, you're rushing to get to class on time, can't find your wallet in your haste because you forgot it, and/or you don't have time to eat said lunch because of class. I missed taking PB&J sandwiches to school. At least then I would remember to eat since I had to skip said lunch and breakfast for class.

2. Gotta make your own meals.

That's right. No more home-cooked meals by your Mom anymore! Not until break that is or on the weekends if you decide to go back. You've got to cook your own food and hope it doesn't end up burnt or tasting bad. Otherwise, you'll waste what you bought at the grocery store and have to order takeout instead.

3. Time to go grocery shopping!

How do Moms do this? It is the most boring, confusing, and extremely tiresome thing to do! You have to figure out pricing, brand, and if any of said groceries will be going bad or have already. Not to mention, it's a lot harder to navigate when you don't have Mom around to guide you. It's even worse when you're directionally challenged like me and the Walmart here is nothing like the Walmart back home.

4. Got a hard homework problem? Difficult and tedious project? Good luck because you're on your own!

Goodbye helpful hand from parents when you can't figure out a problem in your Math book or need help with a tedious project. You've got to do that all on your own with little to no help. Unless you trick your friends into helping you with the project and ask for someone's notes to explain what the heck you're supposed to be doing.

5. Remind yourself to clean your room. (Eventually.)

Well, if there's one possibly "wonderful" thing about being an adult, is the fact that you can clean your room whenever you want. Your Mom or Dad can't nag at you about it—unless they're coming over to visit then you need to clean it ASAP. Also, there's no rush to clean your room because you can procrastinate and work on homework or that project you've been putting off. Because let's face it. You'd rather do the long and very complicated project than clean your room.

6. Cleaning the apartment or dorm room by yourself.

Like #5, you have to clean the apartment or dorm room all by yourself now. Mom can't come over and clean for you. That's now your responsibility. Or, you could always rope your roommates into cleaning with you. That works, too. And if you don't have a roommate then I wish you good luck! There's only so much you can procrastinate with house work (or is it apartment/dorm work?) but it needs to be done.

7. Also, gotta clean the bathroom and (shudders) the toilet.

And the worst of all: You have to clean your own bathroom and toilet. Don't know about you, but cleaning the bathroom is always the worst. You have to mop, bleach, wipe, scrub, and clean the toilet. Can you not smell all the fumes already? Probably need a gas mask, hazard suit, and gloves to protect yourself from all the germs and bacteria. Not to mention, the toilet.

8. Need money? You can ask but it's probably time for a job.

Yeah, being in college is hard on the finances, but you can't rely on your parents for money forever. While they'll be there for an extra hand if you need it when it comes to groceries, gas, bills, and the like, you'll need to provide the rest.

9. Gotta apply for said job and prepare for an interview because of #8.

Doesn't everyone wish they had a staff like Jafar's to convince any interviewer to hire them? Would make the whole interview ten times less stressful because you already know the outcome! Though, the question is: How do you sneak in said cobra-shaped staff that mind controls people past security? Or into the interview room? Maybe it's best if you just answer their questions honestly, write a decent yet at the same time awesome resume, and have a lot of recommendations.

10. You also need #8 to buy food and groceries every week.

Okay, totally need money to even think about #3 or #2. And, if you don't land getting the job then it'll be a little hard to get food and groceries for the week. Maybe you can survive off gummy bears or Easy Mac—ya know? The microwavable kind? That can last for several days if you need, too. Unless you eat all of it in one day.

11. And! Let's not forget the bills if you live in an apartment!

Yeah, bills aren't very fun. No one wants to deduct money from their paycheck to pay for rent, utilities, and groceries. If there would be one think I'm not looking forward to when I get an apartment of my own one day, it's the bills. Can I just live under Mom's roof for a little while longer like Skeeter in The Help?

12. Oh, yeah. You want to go shopping in Madison or Memphis? You might want to add gas money to another reason why you need #9.

Let's go shopping, you say. It'll be fun, you said. Let's plan for tomorrow! You said. And tomorrow does come, but uh oh! You've got no gas and possibly no money to get gas unless you have a job, which is probably a better idea than making your friend pay for it with their money. Granted, if you're going shopping don't you need money anyway? Why would you agree with this whole trip in the first place?!

(Probably should have come up with a better scenario here, but it's fine because you're supposed to have a job anyway! Don't you remember #9?)

13. Time to learn how to do the laundry!

The times of your Mom doing your laundry is over. It's time you venture out in the world of detergent and learn to do it yourself. Granted, if you don't know how to use a washer or dryer then you're in big trouble. Unless you've been cheating this entire time and have been taking your clothes home for Mom or Dad to wash, dry, iron, and fold. If that's the case, then shame on you!

14. Don't forget to do your homework, essays, or projects because now it's your responsibility to remember all this stuff.

Remember when your parents would ask if you did your homework and you'd hesitate or just plain lie that you did? Well, now it's your job to remind yourself to do it. They're not going to be coming by randomly to tell you to do your homework or ask you on the phone if you did it or not. It's your job to do this stuff now. And, man, does it sometimes suck with all you have to remember to do and the amount of breakdowns you get when you just think about it. Which is probably why you more or less likely decide to put it off for a few days and comfort yourself.

15. Need to talk to your teacher about a serious matter? Or sick and can't get out of bed? Welp, you gotta make that phone call now.

Technically, you're going to email them since I don't know a lot of professors who'll appreciate a phone call at 1 or 7 in the morning. Especially if said professor is currently lecturing and your call interrupts them. So now you're sick (or not) and you feel even worse because your professor is currently chewing you out for interrupting his/her class. Best if you just email them and hope they check their emails before class time tomorrow.

If you happen to have a question or need to discuss something serious and you just happen to be there, then just do it. Don't worry about him/her thinking you dumb or whatever reason your mind is keeping you from asking, just do it. In the words of Shia Lebouf, "JUST DO IT!" (cue dramatic arm flex and squat)