15 Questions We Still Have After The Series Finale Of Pretty Little Liars

Because the finale just didn't answer them all.

872
foreveryoungadult.com

When Pretty Little Liars announced that they were ending their seven year run on June 27, 2017, there were many mixed reactions. Some people were ecstatic that it was ending; some thought it had just gone on way too long. However, there were some people that knew that the ending would bring about bittersweet feelings.

This show has been a part of my life for seven wonderful years and I’ve even introduced a handful of friends to the fandom. However, the series finale left us confused and a little disappointed. Here are some of the questions that we were left with after the finale.

1. Why is Twincer a thing?

A major question almost everyone is asking is: Why did the producers go the twin route with Spencer? They claimed that the character had been in previous episodes, which I suppose was true, as Alex (Spencer’s twin) took Spencer’s place in previous episodes, but we weren’t even aware of her existence until halfway through the two hour finale. Also, even though she had many, many issues, why did they think this would be a good ending to the entire series?

Alex Drake, Spencer’s identical twin sister, when Wren found her in London.

2. Who shot Spencer in the summer finale?

This seems like a straightforward answer - Jenna. However, Jenna was then kidnapped by “A”, which I guess we can assume was Alex. She asked “A” if he/she shot Spencer, meaning she did not. However, “A” did not answer, so we are still left guessing. Did Mary shoot her? Did Alex shoot her? Was it a different character that we would never suspect??

Spencer Hastings, immediately after she was shot.

3. How did Maya die?

Maya St. Germain was Emily’s first girlfriend and first true love. The chemistry between the two was undeniable, whether Emaya was a favorite ship or not. She was briefly brought up in the finale as her niece was best friends with the new “mean girl” of the town, Addison. It’s been realized that we never found out how Maya died. We know she was killed by Lyndon James, who posed as Maya’s cousin to gain Emily's trust. He was secretly in love with Maya and mad at Emily for “taking her away” from him. We also know that he killed Maya in the DiLaurentis backyard. However, we don’t know how he killed her. Did Lyndon shoot her like he shot Caleb? Did he stab her like Emily did to him? We never really did get closure on her death.

Maya St. Germain, Emily’s first love.

4. How did Charlotte and Alex build the bunkers?

We know that Charlotte made some really good investments and that is how she was able to fund her bunker. We also know that Charlotte left the money to Alex. But how did they build them? I’m sure that any workers hired would have some questions.

Hanna, Emily, Aria, Spencer, and Mona (dressed as Alison) in the Dollhouse, Charlotte’s underground bunker.

5. What happened to the characters that just… disappeared?

This list includes Mike Montgomery, Jake (Aria’s old boyfriend), Mrs. Grunwald, Gabriel Holbrook, Marco Furey, Samara Cook, Kenneth DiLaurentis, Meredith Sorenson and Travis Hobbs. As this is Rosewood, I’m sure there were more, but those are the few that I can remember off the top of my head. Where are they? Are they ok?

Mike Montgomery, Aria’s younger sister, who has seemingly disappeared.

6. How many people did Peter Hastings sleep with and how many kids does he have?

At this point, if you are unaware of the dad of any PLL character, it’s pretty safe to assume it’s Peter Hastings. He has had so many affairs and illegitimate children. He and his wife, Veronica, have one daughter, Melissa. Then, he slept with Jessica DiLaurentis, who then conceived Jason. Then, he slept with Mary Drake, who gave birth to twins Spencer and Alex. Can we assume that he has slept with more, or is three illegitimate children enough?

All of Peter’s known relationships. Alex is not on this list because we only found out about her in the finale.

7. Why did Alison get pregnant?

What was that storyline? Other than bringing her and Emily together because Emily’s eggs were used, was there a point to her getting pregnant? Also, why was Wren the father? What was the point of that? Will Emily and Alison ever find that out??

Alex Drake pretending to be Spencer Hastings, holding one of Alison and Emily’s twins. This is when Alex revealed that Wren was the father.

8. How did Wren die?

Alex told Spencer that she killed Wren and turned his ashes into a eternity stone, because clearly, “diamonds are forever.” First of all, this is beyond creepy, I don’t think I even want to get into that. But how did she kill him?

Wren Kingston, British doctor that Spencer had a fling with in season 1.

9. Why did Mona have to help Alex and Mary?

For the first half hour of the finale, we had seen Melissa in a black hoodie, creeping through windows, until (surprise, surprise) she took off a mask and unmAsked Mona. While this would be a nice ending because the story would finally come full circle, Mona later revealed that she still didn’t know who A was and wanted to meet with him or her. But why was she helping them at all?

Mona as A in season 2.

10. How did Mona not suspect Spencer/Alex after she went to Welby?

When Mona was in Welby, “A” came to visit her. Mona looked up at her and said, “You’re the last person I expected it to be.” Clearly, she saw Alex (whom she must have thought was Spencer.) But when she got out of Welby, why did she not mention this to anyone? She mentioned her new medications made her forget some things, but was that just an act? Her character is a complex one that no one can really grasp.

Mona in Radley in season 2-3.

11. How did Jenna and a horse figure out that Spencer wasn’t Spencer before any of her friends?

This is quite possibly the most important question of the finale. After speaking about five sentences to Spencer, Jenna called Toby and said, “I don’t think Spencer’s Spencer.” Also, Spencer’s horse, Bashful, went insane when Alex went near him, while he was completely calm around Spencer. Those two characters who really aren’t close to Spencer or the main characters at all were able to figure out that “Spencer” was not whom she said she was.

Veronica, Jenna, and Alex Drake, right before Jenna figured out that Alex was not Spencer.

12. How did Toby not know the difference between Spencer and Alex?

Last night was a major slap in the face to any Spoby fans in the world (me included.) We have shipped this couple since season 1 and Marlene King, the producer, has said she was the “original Spoby shipper.” We were fairly confident in our endgame ship. They kissed in the summer finale (season 6 episode 10) and Spoby fans around the world cried in relief that we had that minute. Since then, they’ve had a couple steamy scenes that made us all happy. However, Alex revealed that she had done all those things. She kissed Toby in 6x10, she had the steamy scenes with him, which is completely disrespectful to his character and his storyline, but I won’t get into that now. However, since he loved her, you would think he would be able to figure out at some point that he wasn’t sleeping with Spencer, he was sleeping with Alex. And, we didn’t get our endgame.

Alex Drake (posing as Spencer) kissing Toby, making Spoby fans dreams come true, season 7 episode 10.

13. What was up with the second to last ending scene?

In the second to last scene, we see Addison and her group of friends (including Hadley, Maya’s niece) having a sleepover. Hadley and two other girls wake up and realize Addison and another friend (who is unnamed) are missing. The unnamed girl comes back, and, like Aria in the PLL premiere, Hadley calls out, “Addi?” The unnamed girl who acts like Spencer says, “She’s gone. I’ve looked everywhere for her. I think I heard her scream.” Is this supposed to be a new PLL spin-off or was this just something to make the show seem like it was coming full circle?

Addison Derringer in season 7.

14. Why is it so easy to get out of jail in Rosewood?

Ok, so we know that Alex helped Mary get out of prison so that Mary could help her kidnap Spencer and Ezra. But how did Mona get Mary and Alex out of prison and to Paris, where she keeps them in a room (we don’t really know WHAT it is) and “plays” with them like they are her dolls. But how did she manage to get them across the Atlantic Ocean without raising a few eyebrows?

Mona watching Mary and Alex in the room in France.

15. And finally, how did the moms end up getting out of the basement??

Now, this has been a question that’s been around since season 6 episode 10, when the moms of the Liars got locked in the DiLaurentis basement. The answer of how they got out is still a mystery to all. It was briefly mentioned in the finale, when Veronica Hastings asked if the others remembered how they got out. However, we never got an answer, and it’s probaby the most widely discussed question.

Pam Fields, Ashley Marin, Ella Montgomery, and Veronica Hastings right before they got trapped in the basement, season 6 episode 10.

I’m sure there are many, many more questions that we didn’t get answered, but those are the main questions from the past that we have never gotten answered, and will never get answered as the series is now over. Although I was very disappointed by the episodes as a whole, it is very bittersweet that the series is over. After spending seven years of my life obsessing over this show, coming up with crazy theories with my friends about how -A and later AD was, and starting group chats with everyone watching the show live, an era has come to an end.

Thank you, Pretty Little Liars, for everything you have given me and the millions of others who have sat in front of their TV screens every Tuesday at 8 PM for the past seven years.

From Your Site Articles