15 Pros And Cons Of Faster Horses Festival

There's good and bad to everything.

1924
Faster Horses Festival

Faster Horses Festival is a country music festival at the Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn, Michigan with the best lineup around. Everyone goes for headliners and up-and-coming artists, and to have a good time. It's a four-day-weekend for having fun, and forgetting the rest of the world exists. Like any music festival, there's highlights and setbacks. Whether you're camping, staying at a hotel, or staying at a nearby house, everyone can agree on these 15 pros and cons of Faster Horses.

1. All of the dirt.

Since the concert is in the middle of a racetrack, and forests border it, you're going to experience getting dirt in places you couldn't imagine. Don't bring your brand new shoes because they will be destroyed immediately. It's guaranteed that your legs will be covered in layers of dirt, and you will feel like you stepped foot off a quarry. It's absolutely unavoidable, unfortunately.

2. Strangers become friends for the weekend, or the minute.

Surprisingly, the festival-goers are there for each other. Whether you need to get closer to the stage, someone to watch out for you, or have a fun time, there's someone that will be welcoming/accommodating. You can be dancing away next to complete strangers and find out that you have things in common and there you go, you have new friends! If you walk around with nothing to do, you're going to be invited to party with anyone!

3. Sleep is for the weak.

If you're camping in the infield, you are not going to get any sleep. People are partying until 6 a.m. You're going to be very tired from the combination of drinking, walking long distances, and being in the heat without food or water. Sometimes you might end up pulling an all-nighter due to the fact that you're having too much fun.

4. The options for activities are extensive.

Tired of tailgating and need time to kill before the concert starts? Faster Horses has you covered. From a foam party, to seeing the Budweiser Clydesdales, there are so many things to do. Most of the activities are free; in my opinion free is always better. Also, if you have the Faster Horses app, it keeps you updated daily on what's going on.

5. Water seems heavenly.

The weather in Michigan in mid-July can be unpredictable, but when it's really hot outside, water is a life-saver. Chug your water, but not too fast because you never know when the next time you'll be able to get some more. Hydration is the most important thing; it fuels you. If you don't drink enough, it can lead to some consequences.

6. The music is top-notch.

Faster Horses has the best lineup hands down. With artists like Luke Bryan, Old Dominion, Florida Georgia Line, Lady Antebellum, etc., they always get the best in the business. The best time is night-time because the headliners are back-to-back. During the day are the underdogs; the new stars. Sure they don't have as much notoriety, but they're worth giving a listen to.

7. The racetrack can be hard to navigate.

MIS is ginormous, and there isn't a lot of signs or maps to lead you where you need to go. If it's your first time, you're probably going to get lost because the venue is so big. Travel in numbers, and when in doubt, ask one of the workers for directions. They're super helpful and are there to make sure you get to your destination safely.

8. People-watching is the best.

With a country music festival, you don't know what kinds of people you're going to get. Sometimes it's awesome to take a break and look around you to spy on what other people are doing. People wear outrageous outfits, display funny flags, and act as if nobody's watching. You'll see it all, and anything is possible.

9. You will lose your friends at some point.

Due to a lot of drinking or not, you will become separated from your friends at one point or another. Poor service makes it difficult to contact them, and it doesn't help the situation if someone's phone dies. Don't fret because worrying only makes the situation worse. Everything will be okay!

10. Camping is not for the light-hearted.

Camping can be an eye-opener for those who haven't caped before. Community bathrooms, no air conditioning, no privacy, and being out in the elements are what camping entails. It definitely is a whole other experience to camp all weekend than it is to not. I commend those who camp because I couldn't do it!

11. There's so many people to meet.

With about 40,000 attendees, there are people packed around every corner. You can meet friends of friends by going to their campsite, or bumping into them in the middle of the crowd. Everyone is there to have fun, so there's no need to be shy. You can make some everlasting memories with people you just met. It's crazy, but it's one of the highlights of Faster Horses.

12. Free things are everywhere.

Not only are there free activities, but there's also free things like portable chargers, tattoos, glitter, you name it. Stop by any booth and they're likely handing out free stuff. You'll be walking in style by the end. Like I said before, who doesn't like free stuff?!

13. The food is excellent, but pricey.

If you're hungry, there's lots of options. There's multiple kinds of food, and from what I heard it is not sub-par. The only thing is, it can be hard on your wallet. For example, a pizza or a stuffed waffle costs $10. It isn't cheap to be eating there, so the best bet is to bring your own food and splurge if you have to.

14. It's poorly lit at night.

Walking around at night is definitely dangerous because there isn't a sufficient amount of lighting. It can be hard for people driving cars and trams to see pedestrians. It would make things easier, and I'm surprised there hasn't been an accident yet.

15. For the price, it's worth it.

For $200, you get to see 10 plus artists a day, for three days. Nowadays. concerts for one artist for one night alone can be in that range. You will make (un)forgettable memories with your best pals and there's nothing better.

It was my first year this year, so I was apprehensive about wanting to go again next year. It's safe to say that it is a once in a lifetime experience, and you're only young once, so it's worth going through hell and back. Faster Horses is the party of the summer!