15 Movies to Watch Just For The Soundtrack

(And Also Because They're Good Movies)

122
Tamim Arafat

don't know about anyone else but when a good movie also has good music it's like you've entered into this little slice of heaven where everything works together in harmony. When I was starting this article I thought of a few movies off the top of my head that had a killer soundtrack. As I was composing this list, I decided to steer clear of all musicals because let's be honest, that list could go on forever. I also decided not to include composed scores like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. This list is all music with lyrics and all the movies are great.

1. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump has my queen, RobinWright and America's sweetheart, Tom Hanks. The amazing thing about this soundtrack is that it cleverly passes time and sets the mood as Forrest Gump waits for a bus.

2. Pirate Radio

Full disclosure, this is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE movies. It's basically about a group of DJ's that live on ship off the coast of Great Britain playing rock music while it's still illegal across the pond. It's amazing. I highly recommend it if you love early rock, funny Brits, and coming of age stories.

3. Tarzan

Not only is Tarzan a Disney classic but the whole soundtrack is Phil Collins from Genesis.

4. Any Beatles Movie

A Hard Day's Night and Help! both star the Fab Four and their music while Yellow Submarine has actors playing the beloved Beatles. All three of these movies are amazing, even if Yellow Submarine is a bit trippy. My favorite is Help! because I adore Ringo Star.

5. Across the Universe

Okay, I know this is Beatles music again but I think this movie clearly uses the music to take it's audience through a coming of age story.

6. Top Gun

I love this movie and the music is very 80s and very iconic. Also, it's kind of hard to argue with me when Tom Cruise sings You've Lost that Loving Feeling.

7. Dirty Dancing

Dirty Dancing is (in my personal opinion) the best teen 80s movie. It takes place is the 60s but has 80s music and actually has a great message (especially for women).

8. Footloose

Kevin Bacon teaches a town to let loose, footloose? Sign me up.

9. American Graffiti

American Graffiti is a great movie. It's amazing to see actors that we all know and love (like Harrison Ford and Ron Howard) in nottheir usual parts is amazing. Plus, it's early 60s with nice cars and a fairly simple but amazing plot .

10. Shrek

I feel like this is the most iconic soundtrack to my childhood. I know that sounds silly but I know very song by heart and it's all because of Shrek!

11. Deadpool

Awesome soundtrack. It fits the hilarious and morbid humor of the movie.

12. Guardians of the Galaxy (1 and 2)

What I love about these movies and the music in them is that they are a part of the plot. They mix tapes are given to Chris Pratt's character as a child and he listens to them as he travels through the galaxy.

13. 8 Mile

Stars Eminem, his story, and his music. It's an great journey for anyone.

14. The Blues Brothers

You guys, who doesn't want to watch the amazing comedy duo of John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd run around on a mission from God? The answer: no one.

15. A Knight's Tale

My sister and I loved Heath Ledger. This movie is funny story of a poor boy becoming a knight with a killer modern soundtrack.