15 Inspirational John Wooden Quotes To Brighten Your Day

"It is what you learn after you know it all that counts."

49
Tumblr

Who is John Wooden, you might ask? Only the most successful college basketball coach of all time. He led the UCLA Bruins to a record 10 national championships, and won seven of them in consecutive years. Despite his successful coaching career, Wooden is best remembered for his wisdom and advice that has changed the lives of everyone he came in contact with.

He is often dubbed the "philosopher-coach" whose advice for his players has been found beneficial in all walks of life. I collected some of his most profound "Woodenisms" to spread the word of such an inspirational figure who should be mentioned along with the likes of Emerson and Thoreau. His quiet-yet-strong legacy may be exactly how he wanted it, as John Wooden embodied the definition of humble in its truest sense.

1. "The smallest deed is better than the best intention."

2. "Don't let yesterday take up too much of today."

3. "Be most interested in finding the best way, not in having your own way."

4. "Don't let making a living prevent you from making a life."

5. "Do not permit what you cannot do to interfere with what you can do."

6. "The man who is afraid to risk failure seldom has to face success."

7. "If we magnified blessings as much as we magnify disappointments, we would all be much happier."

8. "Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights."

9. "Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top."

10. "Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter."

11. "Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Character is what you really are; reputation is merely what you are perceived to be."

12. "I will get ready and then, perhaps, my chance will come."

13. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."

14. "Happiness begins where selfishness ends."

15. "Make each day your masterpiece."

John Wooden's ability to draw up plays on the court was proven to be extremely successful, but his blueprint to life is what turned an ordinary man into a legendary teacher. He truly lived by his mantras and encouraged others to do the same. Unscathed by the throes of fame and success, Wooden became a living example of the power that simple deeds can have in changing the lives of those around you.