Fifteen Foreign Superstitions That Make So Much Sense and No Sense At The Same Time

Single? It's probably because you sat at the wrong seat at dinner.

181
Flickr

I'm going to let you in on a little secret (okay it's no secret really but work with me). My family is EXTREMELY foreign… and I mean extremely. It's as if my parents took Poland, packed it into their suitcase, and brought it over to America for a better life-- go figure. Now because we're extremely Polish, we have some interesting superstitions that we live by.

Due to the coronacation, I've had the opportunity to communicate this to my friends via Instagram and simultaneously ask them what the weirdest superstition their parents engraved in their mind, that doesn't make sense, yet makes complete sense at the same time.

Here's the 20 most amusing answers that I received, with their corresponding country:

1. India

When leaving somewhere, instead of saying "I'm going," you have to say "I'm coming [back] / I'll be back soon" because of the negative connotation that 'I'm leaving has.' It's basically like saying I'm leaving forever.

2. India

If you wake up in the middle of the night, you actually just died in your dream.

3. Turkey

As you're leaving for the airport, your family and friends should throw water at your car for good luck. You get some good juju and a car wash, I see no wrong done here.

4. Russia

Leaving the house and turning back around to come the same way brings death.

5. Ireland

An itchy nose means that you're going to be in a fight

6. Peru

Rubbing an egg on your head when you have a headache or you're sick cures the pain

7. Peru

If someone sweeps over your feet with a broom, you're not getting married

8. Poland

If you leave your purse on the floor, you'll have no money

9. Poland

Celebrating your birthday before it's actual date is bad luck

10. Italy

If you want to sell your house, you have to bury a statue of St.Joseph in the front yard

11. Ukraine

If you sit on at the corner of the table, you won't get married

12. Ukraine

If you don't eat the crust (crust of what? I have no clue) you'll never find a boyfriend

13. Colombia

If your ear gets really warm/red someone is talking bad about you

14. Honduras

Walking barefoot will get you sick

15. Turkey [but corona-fy it]

You can't eat ice cream because it's cold and the coronavirus loves the cold

Please remember that superstitions are "widely held but unjustified belief(s) in supernatural causation leading to certain consequences of an action or event, or a practice based on such a belief," and these are just some beliefs held in different cultures!

Thank you to all my friends who sent in their superstitions, what are some that your family holds?