15 Food Habits Every Californian Is Guilty Of

Because there's no food that wouldn't be way better with avocado.

61
Milk Restaurant

California might be its own culinary bubble — as a native, it's easy to ignore the many peculiar habits we have when it comes to food, but the truth is that Californian cuisine (or maybe Kale-ifornian cuisine?) is vastly different than any other state's. Here are 15 relatable food habits you're probably guilty of if you've ever called California home.

1. Putting avocado on everything.

Is avocado-less toast even worth putting in your mouth? Isn't that just NAKED BREAD?! When you live in the state that produces 95% of America's avocados, you'll damn well make the most of it.

2. Visiting In-N-Out as often as humanly possible.

Californians take personal credit for inventing In-N-Out. And sorry, East Coast — you'll never know the joy that is Animal Style.

3. Accepting the juice cleanse craze.

If you haven't done one yourself, you have friends who've tried it. Organic, GMO-free, all-natural, kale-ginger-cayenne juice? Bring it.

4. Chasing down a food truck for the best street food.

Food trucks are everywhere, but if you're hunting down your favorite, you've definitely scouted out its stop schedule days in advance. Guys, it's at Ocean Park and 31st in Santa Monica. WE NEED TO LEAVE NOW!

5. Being unfazed by the weirdest food mashups.

Sushi burritos from Sushirrito? Sure. Churro ice cream sandwiches from the Churro Borough? Definitely.

6. Feeding your dog better than you feed yourself.

If your local bakery doesn't offer treats that look fancy enough to serve as people food, is it really doing its job? Please get your pedestrian Kibbles N' Bits away from my dog.

7. Being an expert on Cali-Mexican food (and knowing the best tacos are the cheapest).

I see your $6.65, (possibly infected with E. coli) Chipotle tacos and raise you my $2 fish tacos 😎.

8. Expecting most restaurants will have some version of a kale salad.

And if the kale hasn't been massaged, it won't taste as good (not joking).

9. Braving traffic for Instagram-worthy desserts.

Milk, Diddy Riese, Cream'wich, The Pie Hole, Bottega Louie... the options are endless, but you'll have to drive to reach them.

10. Eating at restaurants with names that aren't spelled correctly because they're obv way hipper?

Why is this a thing? (There's Sqirl, Urth Cafe, Ktchn, Blu Elefant, Edibol, Rustiq Table, etc.) I am consernd peepl don't know hao to spel.

11. Trying to convince your out-of-state friends that kombucha isn't deadly.

"Just try it, it'll probably add years to your life or something." "No thank you, it's fermented and it smells like death, and I hate it."

12. Always choosing iced over hot.

Hot coffee? When it's 75 degrees out? Please. I'll order my first hot coffee of the year when it's December and I need to up my "winter aesthetic."

13. Having a wealth of sushi restaurants at your finger tips.

Fresh fish is always available, so there's never a shortage of sushi restaurants. And sorry, but I won't be ordering a California roll.

14. Overpaying for acai bowls.

Pretty sure an acai bowl is just a smoothie with some granola and fruit on top, but sure, I will pay $9 for this thing if I must. And yep, just like In-N-Out, we'll lay claim to these too, thank you very much.

15. Going to year-round farmers' markets.

Sorry, but could you please explain what a "seasonal fruit" is one more time? I've never heard of it.