15 Feminist Halloween Costumes

15 Feminist Halloween Costumes

Smashing the Patriarchy and Looking Cute

136
Brit& Co.

It’s that time of year again! Whether you’re young, or young at heart, Halloween is a time to have fun and be yourself. But if you’re tired of the same old costumes: witch, princess, or (for older people) sexy nurse—then this list is for you! Here are some costumes that proclaim fierceness and feminism. Just as a note—no cultural appropriation, please.

1. Hermione Granger

Smart, loyal, brave, and determined. Where would Harry and Ron be without Hermione? Dead in the first book, probably.

2. Luna Lovegood

Luna is never afraid to be herself and do what makes her happy. She’s kind, smart, open minded, and creative. It’s a shame she doesn’t show up until the 5th book, but she still makes an impact!

3. Ms. Frizzle

The crazy, science-loving teacher from The Magic School Bus is unapologetically enthusiastic and independent. She reminds her students that it’s ok to “make mistakes” and “get messy” when you’re learning, and that a woman’s place is wherever she wants it to be (including the bottom of the ocean)!

4. Charlie Bradbury

Charlie is my favorite character from Supernatural. She’s a nerd without being one-dimensional, she’s incredibly smart, and she doesn’t take no for an answer. She’s also gay and proud!

5. Hillary Clinton

Although some of us might find this too soon, I think we also need a little Hillary in our lives right now. Put on a pantsuit, some pearls, and a no-nonsense expression, and you’ve got HRC down!

6. Beyonce

Is there any way she wasn’t going to be on here? Nope. If you’re a “single lady” or if you want to channel the anger and passion of “Lemonade”, this is a great one.

7. Velma Dinkley

Even when she loses her glasses, Velma is an invaluable part of Mystery, Inc. and is always the one who figures out the real story (which somehow is obvious to her).

8. Moana

As a master wayfinder and adventurer, Moana never gives up, even when she wants to. She saves her island and leads her people with strength and compassion.

9. Leslie Knope

While there are many reasons Leslie is an absolute feminist icon, I think she sums it up best herself: “I am a goddess, a glorious female warrior.”

10. Rory Gilmore

From the books she reads, to her focus on her career, to the portrayal of her great relationship with her mom, there are many important messages about equality and female empowerment to be learned from Rory.

11. Elizabeth Bennet (or any Jane Austen heroine)

Yes, all Jane Austen heroines do get married in the end. But it’s not because they’ve made themselves less authentic, and they do tell their own stories. Unfortunately, that was feminist at the time. A lot of the heroines, though, are funny, intelligent, caring, and strong-willed. Elizabeth Bennet, for example, makes many of the best jokes in all of Pride and Prejudice, she refuses two marriage proposals in heated terms, and she never does things because others want her to.

12. Sophie from The BFG

Sophie is highly precocious and independent, and she saves England from giants even though she’s only eight.

13. Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)

Although Tiana does become a princess, she doesn’t get rescued or have a fairy godmother. She is a hard worker and shows determination and perseverance.

14. Emma Swan

"Once Upon a Time" actually has many leads who could be considered examples of feminism. Emma specifically is independent, tough, and a great lie detector. She constantly saves the day.

15. Supreme Court Justices

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is obviously a boss, but Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor are also fantastic options! All of them have fought for fairness and equality. This is a fairly easy costume if you have some sort of graduation robe lying around the house.