15 Clothing Items I Wish I Had Before I Went To College

One pair of leggings just doesn't cut it anymore.

774
Clothing Helper

Before heading off to college last summer I read many articles on how to be prepared, what healthy snacks I could make in my dorm, what storage units I needed. None of them had told me what clothing articles I would need. I needed a totally different wardrobe than I did in high school. Going out clothes are different. Going out shoes are different. Going to class clothes are different. Everything was much different and I made what I had work but I wish I had warning. So here is your warning, kids.

1. Small black purse

A small black purse, I quickly found out, was every girl's necessity. It matches everything, you can take it to any formal or non-formal event and you can just never go wrong with a small black purse. It is just large enough to fit your Kylie Lip Kit and your wallet. It's an easy must-have.

Buy this one on Amazon.

2. Frat shoes

Boys are often gross and sticky and so are their houses. With this comes the ruining of any shoes you may know and love. So with that being said, the purchasing of frat shoes must happen. A pair of high top Converse and a pair of booties normally suffices. You have two pairs to cover any occasion.

Buy these on Amazon.

3. Going out shirts

Going out used to mean hanging out with friends at their houses. Now it mostly means going out for a night on the town, if you know what I mean. So every girl should own four or more nice shirts that go well with jeans and heels and can be layered with jackets for when it's cold, but also worn without anything for those summer nights.

Buy this one (in multiple colors) on Amazon.

4. Different types of jeans

This one is tricky because I didn't realize it until the very end of the year when one of my three pairs of jeans ripped straight down the seam. A casual pair of jeans is mandatory for class and hanging out. A ripped pair of jeans for that edgy vibe that you can wear out or to class. A nicer pair for going out and then a backup pair, in case one rips.

Buy a pair of Levi's in every style on Amazon.

5. Walking heels

Who even knew there was such a thing? But every girl should have a pair of heels they can walk a good distance in without their feet hurting.

Buy these (in multiple colors) on Amazon.

6. Cute sweatpants

Again, I didn't even know these existed until I went to college. You can sleep in them, but also wear them to class and also wear them hanging out but they look like normal pants. What is this sorcery?

7. Business casual clothes

I never needed business casual clothes in high school, there was never an occasion where business casual was the appropriate attire. Now, I can name multiple social gatherings and meetings that require business casual clothes that I did not have going into college.

Buy this blazer on Amazon.

8. All purpose heels

Not too party, but not too mom-ish heels are necessary.

Buy these on Amazon.

9. 12 million pairs of the same leggings

Mostly for laundry purposes. You don't want to wear the same pair of leggings more than twice and if you want to keep putting off laundry you have to stock up on those black leggings. They get you through everything from working out to going out to class.

Buy a pack of 3 on Amazon.

10. Casual coats

Coats that you can wear over tanks and T-shirts for those fall days. Also classrooms can be freezing sometimes and its always nice to have a light jacket to just throw on.

Buy this coat on Amazon.

11. Big T-shirts

You can never have too many. They are perfect for hanging out, sleeping or going to class.

Buy a pack of 2 (in multiple colors) on Amazon.

12. Workout clothes

Athleisure is real. But also it's nice to have appropriate workout clothes for when you really do want to hit the rec.

Buy an activewear set on Amazon.

13. A real winter coat

Unless you go to school in a warm climate, you'll need a real winter coat. Ohio winters are frigid and dark. A winter coat keeps you warm through the long Ohio winters. Also walking to class without one sucks.

Buy this down coat with a fur-lined hood (in multiple colors) on Amazon.

14. Walking shoes

I know when you are running 15 minutes late to class and still have to brush your hair and your teeth, sandals are the much easier option, but trust me, the speed walk you do to class will be much easier in walking shoes. A cute pair of New Balances or Nikes will go a long way.

Buy this pair of Nike sneakers on Amazon.

15. Spirit wear

Who doesn't love supporting their school?

Find your school's merch on Amazon.

Please note that all items are in stock as of the time of publication. As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.