14 Things To My 14 Year Old Self

14 Things To My 14 Year Old Self

Listen up, we need to talk.

45
14 Things To My 14 Year Old Self
Linda Borden

Girls are brats when they're teenagers. There's no need to sugar coat it. If you're a parent to a teenage daughter, then you're probably feeling the wrath right now. When I look back at myself as a young teen going through that phase, I seriously wish I could slap myself for all those times that my mama didn't.

Here are 14 things that I would tell my 14-year-old self if I had the chance:

1. RESPECT YOUR MAMA!!!!!!

This one is at the top of my list and totally the most important (hence the shouty capitals and extreme raging exclamation marks.) Girl, how do I put this nicely? Hmmm...do not ever back talk her. Do not treat her like dirt. Do not tell her that you hate her. You'll hate yourself for doing it. Your mama is the most deserving of your respect. I get it that you're going through that hellion phase, but one day you'll realize how stupid you're acting. Chill, boo boo.

2. Those boys aren't worth it.

All those little "boyfriends" that you kept a secret from your parents aren't worth it. You know that you're not allowed to date until you're 16. So leave it at that. Now that you're older, you truly realize that you were too young to worry about boys. Shocker, I know.

3. You are beautiful.

Okay, so what if your boobs haven't grown in yet? So what if you haven't grasped how to apply makeup without looking like an even worse train wreck than without it? You're still beautiful. Stop comparing yourself to other girls that have already developed. You'll get there, and when you do, remember to STAY HUMBLE.

4. Learn to eat right.

This is a serious cookie for thought. You're already so picky now, but just wait until you're in college. Learn to eat healthy now so that when you get to college, you'll have a stronger love for your nutrition that you won't settle for the trendy pizza rolls and Ramen...not that they're entirely a bad thing...

5. Pray and trust God more.

Stop thinking that you can explore life alone. You believe in Him, why not trust Him fully to lead you where He wants you to go? You need Him through this phase in your life. Trust God and lean not on your own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).

6. Girls are going to talk, and that's okay.

Like I said above, you are beautiful. You were made to be different. Don't worry about what other girls are saying about you. They're going through the same phase as you right now, and one day you will all eventually grow up and realize how petty the drama really was. You may even become best friends with the one girl that you absolutely can not stand right now.

7. You'll lose some, and gain some.

This is about friends. You're going to lose some best friends, and you're going to gain some. It's all about seasons. Some people really are meant to stay in your life for only a season.

8. Try a little harder in Math.

You're good in everything else, except Math. Try a little harder. Your senior year self will thank you for it when you go to take the ACT and you actually know more on it. Plus, it'll save you from having to take an extra math class in college.

9. Enjoy your youth.

You're 14, you still have a lot of youth left in your body and life. Enjoy the freedom while it lasts.

10. Spend more time with your family.

This should be a no-brainer. When you're in college, you won't get the opportunity as much. So let go of your ego, and appreciate what you have before it's gone. Especially your grandparents.

11. Help your parents out more.

Your body truly is in the best condition it'll ever be in. So when they ask you for your help, and you complain about being too tired, get off your lazy butt and help. One day, you'll be asking them for help when you're having to adult.

12. Time really flies when you're older.

Right now, it seems like high school is just dragging on. You're wishing you were older so that you could graduate. You truly don't realize how much quicker time is going to pass you by the older you get. It's almost like age hits you right in the face. Enjoy every moment now.

13. Life is scary.

High school is a scary place, and so is the adult life. When you get to that point, just breathe. You'll make it through.

14. Mom and Dad were always right.

This is another big one. All those times you argue with them about stupid irrelevant stuff, just shut up. One day you're going to realize that they were right all along. Don't believe me, still? See points 1-13 above. After all, those are all the things they told you, and you didn't believe them.