14 Struggles That Glasses and Contact Lens Wearers Know Too Well

Not everyone can have 20/20 vision.

71

In the third grade, I first noticed a change in my vision and I wasn't able to read the board so I got my first pair of glasses. The oversized frames made of cheap metal broke too easily and were very unfashionable. Plus, playing sports was just too hard. Once switching over to contacts, I saw the world in a new light, no pun intended. Now I could play sports with ease, swim and be able to see, and, more importantly, have a complete range of vision that some days makes me forget that I'm wearing contacts. Over the years, I've dealt with some struggles that all people who wear glasses or contacts have learned to deal with.

1. Having to pee in the middle of the night

Nothing is more dreadful than having to pee at 2 am and not wanting to turn on a light but without it or your glasses, it's impossible to make it to the bathroom without tripping, stubbing your toes on the doorway, or running into the wall. Trust me, I've run in the wall too many times to count.

2. Putting on makeup

You can't put on makeup while wearing your glasses so you take them off and get really really close to the mirror in order to see exactly where you're putting the eyeliner. With contacts, it's slightly easier, except when you get liquid eyeliner in your eye and it burns.

3. Shaving in the shower

This applies to everything in the shower but more specifically shaving. It's kinda hard to shave with a razor and blurry vision.

4. Fogged-up glasses

It's hot so you're sweating like crazy and your glasses won't stay on your face, but even worse is when the lenses fog up on you and you're left guessing if there's something in front of you so you blindly swing your arms and hope that no one sees you.

5. Wearing a headband is painful

Glasses + headband = serious headache.

6. Putting in new contacts

That awful burning sensation never gets old but it makes people think you just cried so add a little extra time before leaving the house. Ten years of wearing contacts and it's still bothersome.

7. Wearing 3D glasses

This is not happening, ever.

8. Glasses + rain = no vision

If they ever made windshield wipers for glasses, that'd be golden.

9. The fear of losing them on rides

Roller coasters and glasses don't mix well but if your glasses fit your face then you'll have no problem. Just hold on to be safe.

10. Not being able to rest your head on your desk

You either break the lenses or leave an imprint on your face. Better take them off just to be safe.

11. Going to the optometrist and worrying you'll fail the eye exam

Maybe it's just me but every time I go to the optometrist, I always fear that I'm gonna fail the test and need new glasses and/or contacts. Who even decided to put both F and P on the same test? Was it designed for us to fail?

12. Taking out your contacts after a long day

After a long day, the last thing I want to do when I get home is take out my contacts but I can't sleep in them so I guess I'll settle for jabbing my fingers in my eyes while being half asleep.

13. Accidentally falling asleep with contacts in

Nothing is worse than falling asleep with contacts in and waking up disoriented and wondering what's going on.

14. Ripping a monthly contact

I always manage to rip one, and in the middle of the month too and I end up with uneven amounts of contacts at some point. It's always on a trip or when I'm not at home.