14 All Too Relatable Struggles Girls Have At The Beach

There's so much sand in my hair.

95
Molly Donnelly

Tan and soft skin, wavy hair, and a cold drink in your hand. The beach sounds wonderful all year round. We can't wait to dip our toes in the ocean for the first time each summer. Everyone lucky enough to make it to the beach during the summer can attest; there's nothing like relaxing oceanside for a week. We all love a vacation, but being a girl adds a few extra struggles into the mix. Here are 14 struggles every girl knows at the beach:

1. The traffic even before you get there

Not specifically a girl problem, no one likes sitting on a bridge for a few hours. Desperately willing your car air conditioner to blow just a little bit colder and praying the car in front of you moves soon is a problem every beachgoer faces. However, girls seem to have the added struggle of deciding if another potty break is worth losing your spot.

2. Being reminded of how much of a diva you are when unpacking the car

There's nothing subtle in unpacking your five or more suitcases packed for one week away from home. Carrying your matching luggage set up from the car is a not-so-gently reminder that you're just a little high maintenance. Then there's the issue of forgetting your favorite makeup bag at home and being utterly crushed.

3. Because you're a diva, choosing an outfit every day

You had to bring the five suitcases because YOU NEED OPTIONS. But then, you're forced to deliberate your outfit each and every morning. Or you might change clothes three times a day to get through all your choices.

4. Matching your swimsuit top to your swimsuit bottom, your hat, and your flip flops

You know you have ~a look~ for each day, but where did that damn blue bikini top go???

5. Sunscreening just enough that you don't burn, but also not so much that you break out like crazy

It's a very delicate balance of taking care of your skin and taking care of your skin. Everyone knows that sun cancer, wrinkles, and dark spots aren't worth an unprotected day in the sun, but you also have to scrub clean all the time otherwise you'll relive your middle school nickname of "Pizza Face."

6. Everything about your hair

What is this myth everyone keeps spreading about "beachy waves?" Does that exist? I like to think I look like a mermaid rising out of the glistening water, but ten seconds later my hair is frizzy and dry as straw. Salt water + sand + pool chlorine + sunscreen + sweat + sun makes more fire kindling that soft and smooth hair.

7. Trying to stay cool but ending up with sweat stains everywhere

Very few women's clothes are "breathable" and most are made of sweat-trapping fabric in bright colors. Your shirts don't stand a chance, you'll have sweat stains in more places than you can imagine. Not to mention the sweat stain left on the chair when you stand up.

8. Tan lines.

Men's clothes all share incredibly similar styles. Women's clothes, on the other hand, come in a variety of lengths, scoops, and straps. No two swimsuits lay the same way. Your summer tan will probably look more like a summer gradient with some crisscrossing stripes across your back.

9. Freckles.

I personally think freckles, and whatever your natural skin looks like for that matter, are adorable and nothing but lovable. Sometimes though you might wish your skin looked even and airbrushed. Your skin is always beautiful, but time in the sun may leave you with a few more dots than before.

10. Burned feet

Girls put so much effort into making their feet dainty. Pre-beach trip rituals usually include a pedicure and an exfoliating scrub. This makes for lovely looking polished toes but leaves absolutely no protection against scalding sand and blistery shoes.

11. Getting hit by a wave and losing your swimsuit

More often than not, there's only a thin string or two between a fabulous day at the beach, and accidentally flashing the entire block. One unexpected wave could mean the difference between 100 Instagram likes and unintentional public nudity.

12. Shaving

More power to you if you don't feel the need for body hair removal. For those of us who love the feeling of smooth silky skin, we also pay the price of shaving/waxing/etc. for what feels like hours.

13. Sand. Sand everywhere.

Take one step on the sandy beach and by magic, you will later find sand in between every toe and crevice in your body. This one does have a quick fix though. Rub some baby powder on dry skin and all the sand will miraculously dust right off. Then you'll smell like baby powder for the rest of the day (this may be a plus or a minus).

14. Trying to eat healthily

What foods go with the beach? Ice cream, funnel cake, french fries, shaved ice, burgers, oh and don't forget cold beer. As delicious as these are, they don't play well with the concept of "beach body" and going for a run is just too hot. The beach is going to get whatever body I give it. Go ahead, drink a beer. Walk on the beach. Balance in all things. Your body is fine just the way it is.

Going to the beach is much more of an undertaking for girls than for our male counterparts. Granted, any person could have these issues. Struggling with them isn't easy no matter who you are. Someone should work on making a relaxing vacation as easy as it sounds.