14 Not-So-Famous Songs For The Perfect Galentine's Day Playlist

So, it's that time of the year again. That sap-happy, chocolate-and-roses time of the year again where everyone is scrambling to come up with grandiose ways to show their SO how much they love them.

As if love could be measured by things. So for all the ladies (and the gents and the the enby folks) who want to ditch the commercial bonanza for a day of showing everyone you love romantically or platonically how much you care, here is the perfect playlist to get you pumped up!

"Electric Lady"

Janelle Monáe is honestly an icon, and this song is a beautiful reminder that every woman should feel glorious in her own skin. A super chill but super uplifting track to blast on February 14th.

"Wide Open Spaces"

While the Dixie Chicks are most popular for their intimate partner abuse anthem "Goodbye Earl", they consistently put out affirming feminist country music that gets you dancing. This is one of my faves by them.

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

Okay, so this one is kind of famous. But bear with me. This Cyndi Lauper song is a classic. This Galentine's day, take the time to find a little fun in your life. No matter what anyone else says, you owe yourself that much.

"Good As Hell"

Lizzo is the queen of feminist anthems, and this early hit is no exception. Blast this while getting ready to head out with your friends, or while you're all in your pajamas eating popcorn. Either way, you can feel amazing.

"Finally"

M.I.A. is most famous for her track "Bad Girls" and also the song "Paper Planes" (if you haven't heard the latter, you should really do yourself a favor and listen to it), but this song from her last album is a beautiful song about moving past hate and strife to finally feeling good about yourself.

"We Don't Need Another Hero"

A Tina Turner classic form that really old Mad Max film. An epic ballad and an epic reminder that you can be your own hero.

"Heartbeat Song"

Everything Kelly Clarkson could honestly be considered a Galentine's Day song. But this one in particular is pretty thematically fitting for the 14th of February.

"Wings"

Little Mix is known for their upbeat music (they feature heavily on my workout playlist), and this song is an affirming anthem perfect for everyone marching to the beat of their own drum.

"Shake It Out"

Do people still listen to Florence Welch? All I know is that she was a staple on my iPod back in high school and that her songs make me feel awesome.

"Salsa"

Now here's a real bop from an artist you probably have not heard of. Nina Dioz is an up-and-coming Latina rapper who puts out wonderfully feminist songs you can feel absolutely unashamed of singing along to.

"Now or Never Now"

Metric is honestly iconic. From Brie Larson's cover of "Black Sheep" in the 2000s nightmare that was the Scott Pilgrim movie, to featuring "Speed the Collapse" in the acclaimed documentary Miss Representation, to having "Gold Guns Girls" in the credits of the Totally Spies movie, this band's music has made appearances in some odd places. But throughout it all, they maintain a strong sound.

"I'm Every Woman"

I am around 98% sure Leslie Knope has this Chaka Khan song on her own playlist. This song is basically the definition of a self-love song celebrating womanhood and being a whole person.

"Bury It"

Now here is hidden treasure of a song. This one is collab between Paramore frontwoman Hayley Williams and popular indie band CHVRCHES. If electro-synth music is your jam, definitely check out CHVRCHES. Their stuff is really good.

"So What"

This playlist wouldn't be complete without at least one break-up song about the wonders of being angry and newly-single. P!nk is unapologetic, and this song is a fun one to get you amped up. Perfect for playing in your car while driving with the windows down.